New member with a "new" '67 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New member with a "new" '67 GTO

Hello everyone! After years of dreaming, I finally found restorable a '67 GTO that I could actually afford, and afford to restore. I wasn't actively pursuing the car when I was told about it (its funny how that works sometimes!) I must say that if the car had power disc brakes and Ram Air, it would have been almost exactly how I would have ordered one. It is a factory Starlight Black 400 H.O. 4 speed car with A/C, red interior, bucket seats, console, rallye clock (that still works!), power steering, power antenna, 3.55 posi, tinted glass, deluxe seat belts, and it has the rare red inner fender liners. I didn't even notice them at first glance because someone had rattle canned them black at some point. I've seen the repop liners in the resto books, but I've never seen original ones in person. I can't wait to see this thing restored to its former glory!

Now, the bad:

It is overall a very solid car, but it does have a little rust in the lower quarters, the rear corner of the front fenders, and I imagine there may been some in the window channels because most do. The windshield and rear window aren't showing any signs of leaking though, so hopefully they are decent. The cowl, floors, trunk pan, and rockers are rock solid though. The PO started sanding the car, and then stopped on it. Some of the bare stops started to get surface rust, so he rattle canned in an attempt to stop the rust. It will have be to stripped all the way down. The PO also bought a brand spanking new interior for the car, except he hated the red interior, so he bought black. I'll roll with the black for a while though, because it does look nice, but its going back red eventually.

My plan:

The car solid enough and my budget only allows for a frame on resto. I'd love to do a frame off, but it just isn't feasible right now. I plan on pressure washing and throughly cleaning the frame, rearend, and suspension parts, and POR'ing the floors and trunk pan and painting everything underneath. I am going to take the front clip off, doors, trunk, bumpers, etc. and restore everything and paint it inside and out. While the clip is off, I'm going to pull the engine and trans and freshen up the engine and put in a new clutch and resurface the flywheel.

I apologize for the novel, but I'm excited to get started. I'll get some pics loaded up in a day or 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 AM

Congratulations and w-e-l-c-o-m-e!!!

No 'apology' necessary, "novels" like yours are like candy to the eyes.

It was this "Fall, Carlisle" a year ago that my '66 "found me" and I still get goose bumps -- thinking back or chersihing the present.

Bottom-line: you are in THE RIGHT palce.

The members here (and the volumes of archived posts) are truly a gosh-send -- LOTTA expertise and passion here so, again, Welcome!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Garage
Congrats on the find, sounds like a real nice car. Be carefull how far you take it down, mines been a shell for a few years now, lol.. I thought my car was good and left it outside, 1st time it rained it was flooded. Front and rear windows out, both sills rotted out and built of fiberglass. Then to bare metal showing all its sins. Getting back on it now, but it's a rotten feeling with it dissassembled, just saying. Sounds like you are all over it, have fun.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Congrats, and what a find. Black with a red interior would be about my number one choice of color combos. Trade the interior parts for red ones if they're not installed already...the main cost is in the labor and prep. Get the car running/driving, and enjoy it. BEWARE of taking it all apart....those cars tend to never see the road again for decades, if ever. A '67 GTO HO 4 speed Black/red??? What could be better!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM

I am suprised nobody has mentioned the most important rule in this forum. Pictures are required! Congrats on the find and good luck. I bought my Lemans about a year ago and have been obsessed with it ever since. I am starting to think that I could be more productive doing other things, but I just don't care.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey you stole my screen name! Maybe you could sell the black interior on here or ebay or performance years forum, and use the money to buy a red one. Who makes the interior PMI or Lengendary?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm reception! I will post some pics tomorrow hopefully.
The black interior kit is already installed, and I don't know what brand it is. It is the correct appearing pleated '67 seat covers and door panels. The car is running and driving (I drove it home) was said to have been rebuilt about 4,000 miles ago. It runs strong and the trans shifts really good. I had forgot how fun a 4 speed car is! It has a Holley carb and Edelbrock intake on it that I will swap back out to the correct Q jet and cast iron intake.

I am not going to completely disassemble it. The front clip is coming off so I can check out, clean, and paint the engine, trans, brackets, pulleys, etc while the body works is being done. I am sending it to the body shop sometime next week, and he'll be working on the body while I work on the engine, and we're going to put the engine back in before puts the car back together after paint. My body man does one car/truck at time from his shop, and he does a great job. He has a full time job and does it on the side, but he turns 3 or 4 cars a year, so I'm expecting several months on the paint, which is fine for me.

I have been having fun decoding everything and I think I have the cowl tag properly decoded. Here's what I have and let me know if something doesn't look right.

11E2
ST 67-24217 PON XXXX BODY
TR 225 - B A-A PAINT
E - 2KLGT
4F 5Y

11E2 -Built 4th week Nov 1966
67 - 1967
24217 - GTO hardtop
PON - Built in Pontiac, MI
225 - Red interior
B - Bucket Seats
A-A - Starlight Black
E - Soft Ray Tinted Glass
2K - Air Conditioning
L - 4-speed
G - Console
T - Rear Mounted Power Antenna
4F - Outside Remote Control Mirror
5Y - Deluxe Front Seat Belts
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like an awesome car. Can't wait to see the photos...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
67, it's actually easier and a lot less frustrating pulling the engine and trans to repaint and clean, etc. then to pull the front clip sheetmetal. My personal choice, anyway. Lining up body panels always takes me much longer than simple parts r&r...just a thought.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
THAT is a nicely optioned car, congrats! Post some pics when you can.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in