New old 1967 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New old 1967

I am buying a '67 GTO that has been sitting in a garage for 6 years. The engine was rebuilt back then and it was pretty much parked. He just put a battery in it, a starter, rebuilt the carb and put a new ac compressor and hoses in it. I should get this car next week. How should I "break it in" or bring it back to life? Any things I should look for or take care of or should it be good to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Has the engine been run at all, even for a few minutes, since the rebuild?

I'd change the oil/filter first, then prime the oiling system. (Remove the distributor after carefully marking how it's oriented/pointed, take a beefy reversible drill with a long cut-off flat blade screw driver or other similar bit, spin the oil pump shaft counter clockwise for several minutes, re-install distributor). Might be a good idea also to go ahead and change the coolant. Inspect/feel all hoses, especially any sections of rubber fuel line, for any sign of brittleness or cracking and replace as needed. I'd also be tempted to drop the fuel tank and empty it, which would also be a good time to pull the sending unit and inspect the "sock", maybe take it up to a high pressure car wash with some degreaser and clean out the tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and blow out with compressed air, replace any inline fuel filters. When you fire it for the first time, have a few helpers observing to watch for any leaks anywhere in the fuel system or cooling system.

Congrats! We need photos...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I'd do as Bear says and also maybe pull all the plugs, squirt or fog oil or trans fluid in the cylinders and turn the engine over by hand using the balancer bolt, then put the plugs back in.

Last time I started my car up after long term storage a mouse nest blew out the right tail pipe .

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Last time I started my car up after long term storage a mouse nest blew out the right tail pipe .
Now there's a visual... Did he happen to be wearing a tiny red cape? Real buff looking little dude?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Pretty much what Bear said. I don't think I'd bother with the fuel tank, but I'm lazier than he is....it sure wouldn't hurt. Main thing is to get oil in the cylinders,and rotate by hand to determine nothing is rusted/stuck and so you don't break anything. If all rotates fine, you can disconnect the coil wire and crank the engine until the oil light goes off. That's a quick and dirty way to prime the engine. Then, hook up the coil wire and light it up. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY, please!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I should clarify. This car was under a garage sale amount of stuff. He told me that he rebuilt the engine "a few years ago". I made him an offer as is and he declined it I agreed to pay his asking price if he provided it in good running order. The a/c compressor was out because it was seized so I ordered a new one which has been installed. He has put in a new battery and replaced lines and hoses. He put in a new starter also. He said it runs and sounds good and is about ready to go for my inspection but he needed to charge the a/c and replace the lines. He told me he has re-rebuilt the carb. I have not heard it run yet but believe it will be good. This guy is 74 and has two large garages, several finished cars in various conditions and a salvage yard. He has done this all his life and is a good guy. The window of opportunity to hand turn the engine is probably passed. When he gets it ready for my inspection I will be sure to look for leaks. Was wondering if I need to baby it for awhile or just let it rip. 400 motor auto transmission headers and magna flow exhaust. Thanks for the help and pics to come but don't expect much yet. He has another '65 in the garage buried but I can't get him to price it---yet
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok...Bear was right...shoulda dropped the gas tank and blew out the lines. It quit running and the fuel filter was muck sludge. So was the new second one. Plus the transmission filter got clogged and she didn't want to go. It's up in the air now addressing those issues. It's pretty amazing how well it run and sounded and the power with those issues. Can't wait to get it back on the road.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

After three months in the shop I finally got my car back. This mechanic is good but don't be in a hurry. I took the car in for a tuneup and it barely made it there. It started with dropping the gas tank and putting in a new one and blowing out the lines and changing filters. Then he showed me the bottom of my transmission pan and all the clutch material there so out came the transmission for a rebuild. Also rebuilt the torque converter. Almost good to go, but wait.....the radiator sprung some leaks and needed a re-core. Replaced the hoses and oh yeah, the water pump. It was finally ready to tune. New plugs, replaced the brittle wires, adjusted the carb and set the timing. Oh yeah, new brakes, bearings and wheel cylinders too. Oh yeah, I forgot about the new starter, which was a bitch to do. Now it runs great and passed inspection, the sticker that he peeled off from the last inspection was dated 1975!! I believe this car sat for 25-30 years in this guy's garage. The tires are pretty much out of round and shake a bit but I am gonna drive it for 500 miles and "break it in". Change oil and then smoke 'em off before I replace those. I need some body rust repair done but am going to enjoy this as is, original for awhile, and put the chrome back on which covers most of the issues. Here's my question if you are still reading and haven't dozed off. Is there a body trim clip set available? All I got was the trim in the trunk ans the trim clip holes in the car so I don't know which ones I need. Any help would be appreciated. We are running out of nice weather days here in Missouri so would like to get that trim on soon. Will also post some decent pics. The car is pretty much original still and I plan to keep it that way for awhile.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM

There are some good after market sources like AMES Performance and Year One. For the most part, you can build a new GTO from the ground-up with aftermarket parts. You might invest $500K to do it, but it can be done!

With my front clip off, I went though the catalog to purchase detail items like a core support center brace, a few bolt kits, cowl seals, paint, etc. In my head I was thinking $400 tops. Total came out to $800!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I was able to get all my clips from Ames. Actually it was pretty reasonable too. Thank God my trim pieces are in good shape. Those are expensive. I prefer original when I can and don't mind a few scratches. Does anyone know if I will need a special tool to put the pieces on, or will they just snap onto the clips? Thanks Lee, for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in