• 1 Post By El Monte Slim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New Owner 66 GTO

Good morning everyone,
I am new to the site and a new GTO owner and I have a question for the group. The car I just picked up I had the PHS documentation done and it all came back as a correct numbers matching car with 61,000 original miles on it . My question is on the rarity of it. The car is a Cameo ivory white a white convertible top and parchment interior. or triple white as they say. Is this common or an unusual combination ? The car is a 389 4 barrel power glide. I had hopes of changing it to a tri power 4 spd car but do not want to change it if it is something rare. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations on the car! I too have a 66 and did quite a bit of research before and after the purchase. IMHO, I think it depends on your long-term aim for the car- keep it and drive it or flip it. True #s matching and low miles drives up the price but if you want to keep it and drive it with a retrofitted tripower/4 spd setup you should go for it.

If you check values on places like Hemmings, you might get a better idea of what it could potentially be worth and if that value is worth keeping a configuration you don't necessarily want. As with all of these condition is everything. Factory 4 spd with tri-power are the highest value for the collector market so if that is what you want to do, I think you add value for resale in the future but maybe not for the collector purist looking for all original but even with that, the market has not really caught fire on these cars. No significant spike in prices make it hard to see who values what.

Query Mecum, Barrett-Jackson and other auction sites for a historical search of actual sales to see what is valued.

I have tried to find the production #s on my car was well and after almost 2 years I still haven't found it. The big #s are easy (convertible, hard top, post etc.) but anything more than that is challenging. If you do find a location that has that level of detail, I'd like to know!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
bsimril is right. Lots of places to scour for pricing info. I've seen the rarity question asked many times. I've owned my '67 coupe for almost 23 years. I've never seen another GTO that didn't have a console. So for me I'd like to know how many didn't have one. But I also have p/s, p/b, a/c, and a tinted windshield. One possibility would be to ask the GTOAA to compile the info on the cars that belong to members. They send me a renewal form each year where I fill out the bare details of my car. Maybe they could expand the details and then at least we could see how many rare cars are out there. Or crowd fund a project to run the PHS build sheets through an OCR and put the results in a spread sheet. Otherwise, I think we'll just have to keep wondering.....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman66 View Post
The car is a 389 4 barrel power glide.
It's not a Powerglide, it's a Super Turbine 300, a completely different transmission.
pjw1967 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just googled the Super Turbine 300. Wow pretty cool transmission never knew it existed. Thanks for the info .......That's why I joined this forum I learn something new everyday !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in