User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Newbie - 66 Triple White or...

This is my first post. Glad to be here! I have always been a 442 guy and owned several. My bucket list has always included a 66 GTO at the top. I am looking at a number of cars and stumbled on to a #'s matching (except for 670 heads off a 67 HO) triple white convertible at a below market price. I am doing my diligence and verification. Not my first rodeo... My question is, since triple white was far from being on my radar, what is everyone's take on a triple white convertible? It appears to be a high 3 or low 2 due to it being an older restoration with a couple of old repairs showing now.

I love convertibles and get the value. It's just that triple white was not at the top of my list. I can purchase this car and put some $$ into it and it will surely be a solid 2. Alternatively, I have my eyes on a couple of coupes that are clearly high #2's for the same price. My dilemma is do I go for the convertible knowing the potential or do I go for the pristine coupe? I know it comes down to preferences and intent. I want it to drive lightly but am hesitant to buy triple white when it know I will have to pump some money into it. Check the pics i attached. The price is $38K. Let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qa.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	54369   Click image for larger version

Name:	asde.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	54377   Click image for larger version

Name:	we.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	54385   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	54393   Click image for larger version

Name:	t.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	54401  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Seeing a couple of red flags here: where is the console? It'll cost you $1500 to get a cherry one. Why is the simulated wood wheel painted black? Never seen that before. The panel fitment at the header to hood is off. The gaps are too big, especiall at the driver's side. To me, it's not a 38k car. If it had the right heads and console, and had not been messed with, then maybe. Probably a 30-35k car if solid. Not a big fan of white cars, but they are comfy on hot days and don't show dirt like dark ones do. Bottom line, do what your guy tells you to do. No different than Oldsmobiles. You know in your heart if you want to pull the trigger or not. It's instinct. Here's a pic of my buddy's triple white '67 hardtop....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chip One 417.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	54409  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Edited content. Between my gut and your comments I have informed the seller I am moving on. Thanks. Confirmed my leanings.

Last edited by Mikereps; 04-01-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Removed link for pic share - not buying it

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Geeteeohguy is the man when it comes to these cars. I wouldn't buy one without consulting him. Nice work Jeff!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you guys think the frame is tweaked and that's why the hood and fender are gapped? Or is that more likely a simple header adjustment and hood alignment?

My guess on the steering wheel was an epoxy and paint job rather than recast in the simulated wood grain. Cheaper to do and the black paint hides the repair spots.

Seems like odd choice to put 670 heads on a '66. Especially if redoing motor to run on pump gas.

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When Geeteeohguy called out the gaps I went back and looked closer at some other shots of the driver side. I was aware there was filler on the driver door that was showing its age which was a caution point. When he mentioned the gap on the driver side it added to the suspicion the car may have been hit at some point. I was restored in about 2000 and me thinks well enough to hide a lot for a while but maybe not any longer. The inspection was next. I called it off due to the distance and gut as Geeteeohguy put it. I really appreciate the access to info and people here at this forum. I will get the right car for me and be a regular. I am recovering 442 guy loving PMD now. Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
442's are excellent cars. Usually assembled a bit better than the Pontiacs of the same vintage. Very high quality. Very fast, too. That said, nothing beats the styling of a Pontiac of this era...a '66 442 can not compete with a '66 GTO in that department! You are right in trusting your gut. Also, white cars can be far from straight and look decent. I'll bet if this car was black or burgundy, it would look a lot worse. In any case, wise of you to move on. And, the less of a hurry you are in, the better the deal you'll get. In a hurry=$$$$!!! Keep us posted, and good luck with the search.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually it was born a triple white car if I read the tag right (attached). My last 442 was a 70 convertible that was laden with options. I made it into Car Caft Reader Rides once. Loved it and let it go a little while back. I will add a couple of pics of it to the thread if you guys don't nuke me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	w.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	54417  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. You read it right. Body color "C" for Cameo Ivory and "1" for white top. 224 is the interior code for Parchment. Geetee wasn't questioning the original color of the car, he was just stating that white paint can better hide body imperfections - more so than a black or burgundy car.

Please continue to post pics of your 442s or more from cars you're interested in. We like all classics. You're going about this the right way. Last thing you want to do is rush into a purchase and get locked into someone else's problem. I'd like to add a gto convertible down the line myself, but HT and coupes are great too. You're always better off getting a rust free straight and honest car for a price you deem reasonable. Like said before, research/advice along the way helps but ultimately instinct will tell you when you've found it.

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in