Newbie, looking for value on car - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie, looking for value on car

A few months ago I picked up a 66 GTO shell. Has the 242 VIN. The car is basically unrestorable but has cool options like AC, power brakes, power steering, weird map lights and a few other things. Not even sure if it is worth the $50 to get the PHS documents on it.

Give you an idea of the condition. All the glass is broke, the floorpans, trunk, hood, doors, quarters are completely rusted. The gas tank fell out of her and floorpan is bent up like it was dropped on something so the seats are spread out to the doors a few inches. The interior is shot but is 100% complete down to the PONTIAC faced AM sound maker. No engine or trans but the 12 Posi is still there. However the frame is very nice. The exterior is complete down to all the emblems but it is all shot.

The trim tag as well as VIN is there and in perfect shape. I can't see parting out a real Goat when there are so many posers out there. But it is not where my hard earned will go. I know the thing is not originally a Tri Power car unless you could get AC, automatic, and power steering/brakes.

So my question is this. I paid $1750 for it sight unseen and I am only looking to recoup that investment. The grilles are decent as are the tail lights. The ac is complete as is the rest of the insides. Is this thing worth it? Or should I indeedy part her out and scrap it?

Andy

Last edited by Andy's Auto; 11-10-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: pics added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 AM

interested
sent PM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto View Post
A few months ago I picked up a 66 GTO shell. Has the 242 VIN. The car is basically unrestorable but has cool options like AC, power brakes, power steering, weird map lights and a few other things. Not even sure if it is worth the $50 to get the PHS documents on it.

Give you an idea of the condition. All the glass is broke, the floorpans, trunk, hood, doors, quarters are completely rusted. The gas tank fell out of her and floorpan is bent up like it was dropped on something so the seats are spread out to the doors a few inches. The interior is shot but is 100% complete down to the PONTIAC faced AM sound maker. No engine or trans but the 12 Posi is still there. However the frame is very nice. The exterior is complete down to all the emblems but it is all shot.

The trim tag as well as VIN is there and in perfect shape. I can't see parting out a real Goat when there are so many posers out there. But it is not where my hard earned will go. I know the thing is not originally a Tri Power car unless you could get AC, automatic, and power steering/brakes.

So my question is this. I paid $1750 for it sight unseen and I am only looking to recoup that investment. The grilles are decent as are the tail lights. The ac is complete as is the rest of the insides. Is this thing worth it? Or should I indeedy part her out and scrap it?

Andy
looks like parts only to me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The frame and a/c should get you close to what you paid for it. If you get lucky, someone will but it whole to use as a donor car, but I think your best bet is to part it out.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I agree with Sandu002. That car would cost more to try to restore than it's worth. Upwards of 50 or 60k. You could get a comparable restored one ready to drive for about half that. Careful ebaying should get you your cash back, with maybe a little extra. Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I ponied up the $65 large for the PHS docs and I think I am going to tackle this one in 2011. Just alot of cool options. It is just a YS code 335 horse 389 car but it shows a 3.08 posi, ac, ps,pb, lighting option with vanity mirror, and a bunch of little cool things.

I figure if I do the work myself I can get this thing road worthy for around $30k and have a really cool car. I already scrored a 9/65 YS code 389 with a matching trans. I got it for $500 from a bud and it has all the goodies on it like the compressor, alternator, powersteering pump, carb, fuel pump, dist, and mounts.

I just got my hands on a really clean deck lid, doors, fenders, and a hood that does need some help, but it is an original 66. just a little bubbling on the trailing edge.

Andy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
If you can do it for 30k or less, and you probably can, doing your own work, you'll have a nice '66. And the further satisfaction of "saving one". My hat's off to you, and good luck with your new project!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Boy oh boy, when you start on this, I'm going to have fun tracking that resto thread. sticky for sure! I hope you can fab metal sir!

KICK THE TIRES & LIGHT THE FIRES
Dreamin of Montero Red & Parchment White '66;
2004 LS1/T-56; LMII, Skipshift del, GMM Ripshift, K&N CAI, TC AutoOff, AVIC-7000NEX
1992 Dodge Dakota LE; 5.2L Magnum
2006 Kawasaki EX250
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto View Post
I ponied up the $65 large for the PHS docs and I think I am going to tackle this one in 2011. Just alot of cool options. It is just a YS code 335 horse 389 car but it shows a 3.08 posi, ac, ps,pb, lighting option with vanity mirror, and a bunch of little cool things.

I figure if I do the work myself I can get this thing road worthy for around $30k and have a really cool car. I already scrored a 9/65 YS code 389 with a matching trans. I got it for $500 from a bud and it has all the goodies on it like the compressor, alternator, powersteering pump, carb, fuel pump, dist, and mounts.

I just got my hands on a really clean deck lid, doors, fenders, and a hood that does need some help, but it is an original 66. just a little bubbling on the trailing edge.

Andy
just looked at the pictures again. a little advice coming from someone who is on his second restoration in 2 years on cars in much better shape than that one. i wouldnt consider it without a donor body. that car is not rare enough to be worth what you are going to put into it. the only good piece on that car is the frame and as rusty as the rest of the car is i would question that. whatever you decide good luck.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Go buy a lemans parts car you look like you need one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in