Newbie not sure what he's getting into - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie not sure what he's getting into

Long story short, my father-in-law has a 67 hard top GTO in the barn (yes really). Looks to be in pretty decent shape, no body rust, but I haven't crawled under it yet. It's got about 61k on the odometer 2 volumes of the factory service manual in the trunk. It was driven into the barn about 2 years ago and has sat there since then (w/o being started). Because I'm "the car guy" (jeeps mostly) he's asked me if I'll help him get it ready to sell (which makes me sad, but that's another story entirely). There are a few obvious problems with it.

1) some uphosltery/headliner damage, looks like normal age wear. That and I'm pretty sure a mouse got into some dash insulation/seat cushioning in the last 2 years.
2) the driver's side front tire seems to be too close to the rear of the wheel well. Kinda looks like the tire would be cut by the body (near where the 6.5 liter badge is) during a right turn
3) tail lights aren't attached ... they're in the trunk. Don't know if this means they just need to be screwed back in or if they're shot

All that said, I've got no clue if its worth even half of what he thinks it is "fixed up" or if I'm in way over my head. I'm ok with supension and trim and have some resources for engine/etc but this would definitely be a different beast from relatively modern jeeps.

I neglected to get the whole vin, but here's the data plate... if that helps.

So I guess my question is... should I try? What info do I need to answer the question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Really tough to have an opinion without seeing the whole car. What kind of money is he looking to get out of it?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Really tough to have an opinion without seeing the whole car. What kind of money is he looking to get out of it?

Bear
I think he has it in his head its worth in the 25k range. I may be wrong, and he maybe deluded.

Hopefully this w/e I can get it out into the sun (and on pavement) so I can get some pictures and crawl under it. Anything in particular other than a crapload of pictures that would be useful?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like he's Been watching to much mecum auto auctions. From your description it's in need of a resto. RESTORED it would bring $25k... Of course it would probably cost more than that in parts and labor. A closer ball park figure (sight unseen) would be closer to 10-12k. Orginal everything may help but unless it is a highly optioned original a person can buy a VERY nice car for $25k and drive it away...

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRhino View Post
I think he has it in his head its worth in the 25k range. I may be wrong, and he maybe deluded.

Hopefully this w/e I can get it out into the sun (and on pavement) so I can get some pictures and crawl under it. Anything in particular other than a crapload of pictures that would be useful?
As Bear, I think the best place to start would be with a "crap load of pix", as you stated.... Along with what facn8me said.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok so this is hardly a crap load of pictures, but here's what I've got.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...20989737331089

I think the "mission" now is to just get it started so he can sell it. There's about a quarter tank of gas in it that's been sitting for 2 years, so I get to figure out what to do about that first.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM

FWIW, the October, 2011 Old Cars Price Guide shows that a 1967 GTO hardtop in #5 condition (complete, but needing full restoration) has a market value of $6,000. I don't have a more recent issue, but I doubt that value has changed much...

I recently purchased a running 1968 GTO in apparently similar condition (but with worse paint) for $5,000.

If that car has the original engine/transmission and rear axle and if it is a well-optioned car, it might be worth more than that, but I don't see that car (as it sits) being worth anywhere near $10k.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Hell yes, do it. Full interior is cheap ($2-4000) engines and drive line are cheap if you just want to drive it. Worry about restoring it when you are old and rich.... ha
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM

let me add... It's your father in law. He'll take what ever his DAUGHTER says is fair for the car............
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM

and I just got screwed and paid 8k for something in similar condition, no driveline, no rust. I've been looking around CA. basket cases are about 4-6k. Something running is about 9-11k. Show cars are for old dudes with lots of cash.
and converting to a LS2 and other goodies is for dumb youg guys thinking they won't spend lots of cash.. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in