Newbie owner here...looking for info - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newbie owner here...looking for info

Hey, i just bought a 1969 Lemans GTO clone convertible off ebay (400ci). I currently have a viper, but wanted to buy an older car that I can tinker with and it's relatively affordible (which the viper is not)

Anyway here are my questions.

-Does the convertible ever have a spoiler? if not is it cheese to put it on? If not, where is a good site that sells this stuff?

-The car doesn't have the tach on the hood. It is an automatic...is it a no-no to put a hood tach on for an auto car that has a dash tach?

-It looks like it has lame factory exhaust. Is this a dual exhaust car or were they single? Would dual straight pipes be too loud? What is a common way to do this?

-Are there decent headers and is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome to the forum
-Yes Judge option convertibles had the spoiler
-Hood tach with dash tach is a bit redundant, but you could change the dash cluster to a non tach
-LeMans was probably single exhaust, GTO would be dual exhaust to the rear bumper
(depending on HP dual factory style exhaust are available and common in 2.25 - 3")
-Headers on Pontiacs are a PITA, as the bolts come up into the block from an angle below and clearances are very tight. The factory style RAM AIR exhaust flow nearly as good as headers and are much easier to deal with.

Some good suppliers are Ames, OPG, & NPD

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
welcome to the forum
(depending on HP dual factory style exhaust are available and common in 2.25 - 3")

Some good suppliers are Ames, OPG, & NPD
Thanks for the info. I wont bother with headers, but i think dual exhaust is needed. Are there kits or is it easy enough to get a custom job. Do people usully do mufflers, or baffled straight through mufflers, or just stright pipes. I want it to sound mean, but not make my ears bleed

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
That's mostly a personal preference thing, but you're going to want mufflers of some sort I'd think. Do some searching on youtube for various sounds of Pontiacs running wih different mufflers (there are quite a few out there) and listen for something that sounds good to you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Dude...the flowmaster 817409 sounds nice and is cheap. Best of both worlds For a tad above $500 I couldnt even make one for that cheap
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
kits are easy and fit well. only part you may need to have made are the down pipes from the manifold to the collectors. Anything under 500+ HP should breathe just fine with 2.5's. Pontiac motors have a very distinctive sound, even my wife can tell one coming from two blocks away.... GRRRRRR!!!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

crappy, even with this kit I would have to have some stuff made?

Product Details
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The kits they list for a `69 Pontiac are all listing as a header back system, so yes, you'll need some down pipes from the manifolds.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Check Pypes for exhaust parts, especially their header downpipes which are mandrel bent. I've seen dyno testing on exhaust systems and the downpipe out of the exhaust manifold on a Pontiac is critical to making power, spend your money there and everything else is about the sound and price.

Pypes

For mufflers I prefer the Hooker Aerochamber, they flow well and are priced right also excellent construction.

Holley Performance Aero Chamber Products

BTW, rear spoiler was an option on any GTO in '69 and convertibles use a different one than the hardtops, the quarter panels are different between the two body styles so the spoiler is slightly different.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Ive been looking closer at exhaust, and the downpipes are a good chunk towards a set of Hedman headers. What makes header installation such a big pain in the ass? is it the installation process? or are there more annoying things like having to re-route things or rubbing issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in