LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Nitrous Oxide anybody?

Have many books and a ton of magazine articles on power additives from turbo's, superchargers, and nitrous Oxide.

I plan on using a 125-150 HP kit on my build, using forged rods/pistons because I am building for big HP to begin with, but know even cast pistons will be just fine in the 100 HP -125 HP kits.

Nitrous works best on low compression engines, 8.0-9.0 range. It really wakes them up. It would seem to make a lot of sense to me to have a mildly built street 400 CI 0r 455 CI, add the nitrous, and have an engine that will push into the 450-500 HP range with gobs of added torque, at a push of the button.

My question: Any of you have experiences using nitrous on your Pontiac? Again, see it used in magazine cars, but don't know of any actual first hand users with Pontiacs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
BOOM!

Seriously though, have an adequate fuel system, do not skimp on wiring, run a hobbs switch on the fuel side, I wouldn't recommend a throttle activated kit, use a manual switch.

Why NOS though? Just build a healthy motor to begin with. You will get tired of filling bottles and it always seems to run out just when you want or need it. And it's like crack, addicting and you'll start to want more and more. Pretty soon you've got two plates and a fogger and you keep telling yourself that those hypereutectic pistons can take a lot of abuse.....

I've been there and went supercharged. Just sayin........
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM
64-67 Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
No real experience with it, but what Alky says. I like power the old fashioned way, all motor and no snakeoil or steroids. I always considered Nitrous the cheater's way to make power.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
X3
Go turbo, twin turbo or Supercharger.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do it, YOLO
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
X3
Go turbo, twin turbo or Supercharger.
Ok, sure. Why don't I just skip all the add-ons and go with a Pro-Stock Mountain motor? Obviously some here have deep pockets. I'm just a po boy maximizing fun and cost in a balancing act that suits my budget. Going lower compression so I can run the "cheap" gas. Running a tunnel ram(going to make it) with dual quads and velocity stacks because to me they look the best. I know, your all rolling your eyes, getting those body tremors, and the corners of your mouths are twitching.......'cause you want to say "No Way, It won't work, Your Nutts." Well, yes I am -nothing new there. HaHa. So don't even go there. Just trust me. HaHa Remember, in theory, Bumble Bees are not supposed to be able to fly. So, I'm just trying "my theory" on how I want to build my engine and not some one else's. Got a few trick's up my sleeve.

Simply wanted to get a couple of Pontiac owners viewpoints on their experiences -preferably street cars and not drag cars. I am not racing my car at the track or trying to best 1/4 mile times. Just looking to use it for what it is, a few seconds burst of power and not a 10 second pass through all 5 speeds.

Personally, if I had the cash, twin turbo would be my pick.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Not bashin' Jim, just giving my opinion. I had a fast street car with NOS and it ended up burning to the ground do to my stupidity.

I just want to caution you on piecing together a setup on the cheap. And definitely have a fire extinguisher and a Hobbs switch on the fuel side. Back in "the day" when me and all my buddies had systems on our cars; every one of us had some sort of catastrophic failure on the juice.And the systems kept getting bigger and bigger. I've seen NOS backfires that literally blew carbs off the manifolds, bent rods and fried pistons.

So when you add it all up as far as a system, all the upgrades necessary to ensure your motor lives and the bottle refills a blower or turbo system isn't really that far off. I picked up my blower with the carbs for under $1K. They are out there.

And I'm definitely not a deep pockets guy, just a gear-head with some grease under his fingernails, some good buds, horsetrading skills and a knack for finding some deals.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM

Nitrous can be a great power adder. So can twin turbos. Each require some careful consideration when utilized. Nitrous certainly is quick, easy and way cheaper than twin turbos. I would consult with the nitrous kit supplier and see what they recommend.

Stock cast pistons do not do well with detonation, low compression or not. A lean condition can cause detonation. You will need to spend some $$$ on a fuel system unless you are using a small shot of nitrous.

Not trying to be a wise ass here, but making horsepower takes stronger, well matched parts. Anyone can tack on a huge nitrous system, push the button and go. To keep the engine from going Kaboom and causing you to spend huge amounts of money. I'd talk to the supplier. I'd rather add 50 horsepower reliably than add 150 horsepower and run over engine parts......
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM

It is your build....... I am with Alky on this one, all the way. My experience was almost identical, put a kit on and man -oh-man that stuff works, give it a lil more and then you want to rip down the road and you run out......bummer, then you want more pressure so you get a bottle warmer and an extra bottle.... and on and on.... then the BACKFIRE that blows the top of the motor part way through the deck lid and then you have melted aluminum manifold shards impregnated into the GLASS. Then just happy that the huge explosion did not do any serious bodily harm other than temporarily ringing in the ears..... long story short.... I would supercharge it, or just build it GOOD. It will cost much less than nos.......
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Ok, sure. Why don't I just skip all the add-ons and go with a Pro-Stock Mountain motor? Obviously some here have deep pockets. I'm just a po boy maximizing fun and cost in a balancing act that suits my budget. Going lower compression so I can run the "cheap" gas. Running a tunnel ram(going to make it) with dual quads and velocity stacks because to me they look the best. I know, your all rolling your eyes, getting those body tremors, and the corners of your mouths are twitching.......'cause you want to say "No Way, It won't work, Your Nutts." Well, yes I am -nothing new there. HaHa. So don't even go there. Just trust me. HaHa Remember, in theory, Bumble Bees are not supposed to be able to fly. So, I'm just trying "my theory" on how I want to build my engine and not some one else's. Got a few trick's up my sleeve.

Simply wanted to get a couple of Pontiac owners viewpoints on their experiences -preferably street cars and not drag cars. I am not racing my car at the track or trying to best 1/4 mile times. Just looking to use it for what it is, a few seconds burst of power and not a 10 second pass through all 5 speeds.

Personally, if I had the cash, twin turbo would be my pick.
You say you're not going to race the car but tunnel rams are made for drag racing and perform like crap on the streets with no/hardly any low end performance. A dual plane is what you want for spirited light to light low end torque and you can get them in a dual 4bbl, just sayin....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in