nooney985 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nooney985

I am new to participating in a forum, and I have a problem with fueling my 65 GTO. When it is full it blows an excessive amount of gas all over the place. I owned a 66 back in 66 and don't remember that happening back then. Is there anything I can do to stop or lessen the amount of gas blow back???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
In '66 they didn't have the anti-pollution equipment on gas station pump hoses. These tanks are low and have a low filler....they trap air. You need to go slow and let it burp. The key here is to GO SLOW and listen....you can hear the fuel as it comes up the neck and cut fueling to let it burp.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
geetee is right, but there may be another gremlin in there giving you trouble. New tank? Replaced at some time in it's life? Is it vented at the neck or does it use a vented cap? At the neck it should also have that tube/vent gig in the trunk below the latch. If it's well vented the gas should go in easy for the most part. There may be operator error too. Easy to get "conditioned" by newer cars. 2700 RPM seems like the engine is screaming, air pressure is too high in the tires because it seems low at 30-32 PSI when the daily driver takes 36 or better, reaching to the front of the seat for the adjuster, trying to use the round key to open the door locks when it's the ignition key that always did it up to about 1973. And those are just a few extras to pile on to the issues of putting in the motion lotion at the gas station. Savor the adventure of doing it the old ways.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
65 fuel caps were not vented. 64 caps were vented. Maybe your car has a combo of different years with the wrong hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in