User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not Another Newb!!! (with a '67 LeMans)

Hey fellas!!! (and ladies?)

So, I just picked up a 67 LeMans with a newly balanced and blue-printed 455 motor and I wanted to show it to y'all while I was saying hello. After a semi-successful engine installation, the previous owner sort-of lost interest and threw it into a real estate deal I just took advantage of. After about a day of wrenching, I had it running (but not well).

It overheats pretty bad and I shut it down after the temp hit 230. The previous owner warned me that it might do that. The engine ran strong while it was running though. He also said there was a tranny leak that will need to be fixed. I never drove it, I just let it run for a while (too paranoid about the tranny leak ).

I think I'm going to just put in a bigger radiator and redo the whole cooling system. I'll put a 160 deg thermo in it and maybe even a new water pump. I've also noticed that the neck of the thermo housing leaks (because it's on of those POS aftermarket chrome ones). After that, it should be fine, mechanically...

What I'd like to do is discuss options, if that's okay. I could just leave it a LeMans but I hate the way the back end looks. I'd rather have the GTO style tail lights with the back-ups on the bumper. That, to me, looks the best. So, I'm leaning towards converting it to a GTO. I'm open to all opinions and viewpoints, so please throw some suggestions my way. My mind is by no means made up.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the pics!!!

...and here are some of the engine:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello and welcome to GTOforum, a fan shroud may help with your cooling problems, a 160 degree t-stat may open too soon and may not allow the radiator to disipate the heat.

I would suggest a 180-190 if it were my car. I just had my 66 radiator "rotted out" by a local radiator shop for a fraction of the price of a new radiator. I noticed the engine is from an Oldsmobile, post the numbers located next to the oil fill tube and I will help you identify the year of the engine. As far as cloning do what ever makes you happy, that car will make a nice resto mod and will turn heads at any car show.

Good luck and check out my projects by clicking the My gallery link under my Avatar.

Randy

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
Hello and welcome to GTOforum, a fan shroud may help with your cooling problems, a 160 degree t-stat may open too soon and may not allow the radiator to disipate the heat.

I would suggest a 180-190 if it were my car. I just had my 66 radiator "rotted out" by a local radiator shop for a fraction of the price of a new radiator. I noticed the engine is from an Oldsmobile, post the numbers located next to the oil fill tube and I will help you identify the year of the engine. As far as cloning do what ever makes you happy, that car will make a nice resto mod and will turn heads at any car show.

Good luck and check out my projects by clicking the My gallery link under my Avatar.
Is the "elephant trunk" off the thermostat housing that obvious?

LOL

Yeah, not my decision but it's a brand new motor so I'll deal with it for a while. Maybe a 455 Pontiac will cross my path and I can build that up. In the meantime, it'll do...

The shroud thing has been suggested before and there is what appears to be the upper half of a shroud in the front seat picutre that I posted. This weekend, I went to a car show in Long Beach and a guy had a Chevelle with just that top half on. Is that enough or is there a bottom half that goes with that gaudy chrome thing?

The radiator was re-conditioned about two years ago, so it should be fine for the application it was meant for (which was certainly not a 455 olds).

I'll get you those numbers as soon as I can. I had to leave the car at the place because it's still not road worthy...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 AM

that car just needs a little TLC, it has a lot of potential and already has alot of motor, i love the 455, it is bad about overheating though
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 AM

Looks like a great project car you have there with lots of potential.
I'm sure with time you will get your overheating problem figured out and have an awesome strong motor in that thing.
As far as making it into a GTO clone, you could do it, but for me, i would just leave it as a LeMans. I like the sleeper aspect of it.

Good Luck with it. I bet it will be sweet when it's all done.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 AM

brings back some memories!

i had a `clone',bought a parts car someone had welded the GTO tail panel in,eventually i ended up painting a Harley for a guy for a 455 pontiac in a GPrix,well long story short i ended up with a lowly 301,,ya know what?,that car was fun to drive!,i had fun in it and everybody thought it was my GTO i'd put in primer of course i put a hood and wheels on it,guy made an offer and i let it go,i never lied to anybody about it being a LeMans and if they wined i pointed out=nobody builds a STOCK camaro or el camino OR chevelle they're all SS's now!,that usually shut's them up so go on with it!,a decent sound body with a fresh motor,that's a gift!!!,couple items on cooling that i do know=the molded hoses pass more water than rippled hoses,i'd buy a thermostat for a `67 442,in fact,i'd look at `67 442's to reference anything,radiators for instance,yours appears to be `the big one',i believe they used a tall deck 400(like the 455 has) in `67 and hey!,those 455 olds had some chieatttt,i had a whale delta 88 granny car `76 i was going to put the motor in a suburban but drove it for a year instead,,big motor=big road trip,they run!,have fun!

somewhere in oregon praying for some good gas,cool weather and a two car length jump on ya!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
i had a `clone',bought a parts car someone had welded the GTO tail panel in,
Yeah, I'm going to order that from Ames and do that too. Was that pretty complicated or did it require a lot of effort? (ie, should I have it done by a professional)

Quote:
i never lied to anybody about it being a LeMans and if they wined i pointed out=nobody builds a STOCK camaro or el camino OR chevelle they're all SS's now!,that usually shut's them up
I never looked at it that way. You're 100% correct though. I'm going to steal that comeback from you, if that's okay...

Quote:
couple items on cooling that i do know=the molded hoses pass more water than rippled hoses,i'd buy a thermostat for a `67 442,in fact,i'd look at `67 442's to reference anything,radiators for instance,yours appears to be `the big one',
This is going to prove difficult but I'm getting a lot of good advice. I was thinking about getting either a Be Cool or a Rodney Red radiator but if I can avoid that, it would be nice. I got a little sticker shock over those things...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums!
...on the overheating issue, looks like it has an underdrive pulley kit. That may be a contributing factor?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Hey 5hundo Welcome to the herd. I'd love to see pics of that when you are finished with it.

While showing my 05 QSM I occasionally get remarks from old timer GTO owners saying...Hell it don't look like a GTO it looks like one of those Monaros. I tell them this....

This GTO looks as much like a Monaro as yours looked like a Lemans, or Tempest. Then, silence.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
...on the overheating issue, looks like it has an underdrive pulley kit. That may be a contributing factor?
Really?

That sucks... I like that pulley kit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in