• 1 Post By jayvee53
  • 1 Post By geeteeohguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Numbers matching question

Not being sure how this numbers matching stuff goes....the VIN on my 68 GTO is 242378R19xxxx The number stamped on the engine block is 28R19xxxx there is no "2423" in front of the 28R19xxxx. The last six numbers on the engine match the last six numbers of the VIN but notice how the "78R" in the VIN reads "28R" on the engine. Was this just a mistake on the part of the guy stamping the engine block number? Did he mistake the "7" for a "2" OR....is the fact the last six numbers matching the important thing? Thanks for any help in solving this mystery.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee53 View Post
Not being sure how this numbers matching stuff goes....the VIN on my 68 GTO is 242378R19xxxx The number stamped on the engine block is 28R19xxxx there is no "2423" in front of the 28R19xxxx. The last six numbers on the engine match the last six numbers of the VIN but notice how the "78R" in the VIN reads "28R" on the engine. Was this just a mistake on the part of the guy stamping the engine block number? Did he mistake the "7" for a "2" OR....is the fact the last six numbers matching the important thing? Thanks for any help in solving this mystery.

John

If you really want to nail it down, you want the 2-letter block code, casting date found next to th distributor, and the VIN stamping. I would say if the last 6 match, then it is correct. Yes, we have heard of mis-stamps and a "7" in place of a "2" could easily be that.

You also want to verify the heads, #16 , on the center exhaust port, and the cast date on each which should not be too far off from each other or the block.

And if you don't already have it, get the factory documents for your car from PHS and you can verify much of the car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim! After reading this on another site, I see that the number 2 was routinely stamped on Pontiac engines followed by a number for the year (8 in my case) and then the letter for assembly plant followed by the VIN. So, looks like I'm good! By the way Jim, I asked you a question on a post regarding carburetor adjustment.

John

From 1955 until early 1967, the block unit number represented the last digits of the VIN of the vehicle that the motor was originally installed in. Late in 1967, the number 2 was added at the beginning to represent Pontiac, followed by a digit that indicated the last number of the model year (such as 9 for 1969) and a letter that represented the originating assembly plant. These digits were followed by the last 6 digits of the VIN.
PontiacJim likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
What Jim said. You have the original engine in your car. Not uncommon if it's and automatic, but pretty rare if it's a stickshift car. Most of those were grenaded a long time ago.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What Jim said. You have the original engine in your car. Not uncommon if it's and automatic, but pretty rare if it's a stickshift car. Most of those were grenaded a long time ago.
Thanks geeteeohguy! It is a four speed! The car is new to me, but I am thinking it has pretty much been babied it's entire life!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I've had 9 '65-'67 GTO's over the past 40 years. 6 were 4 speeds. None had the original engine, and the cars were only 12-15 years old. The 3 auto cars ALL had their born with engines. Ahhhhh..........the '70's! Your car was definitely taken care of. A lot of us 'Day Two' guys blew up engines back in the day! (Day One guys, too.....)
jayvee53 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in