Odd Differential Issue... and a SCORE! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Odd Differential Issue... and a SCORE!

When I bought my car two and a half years ago, it came with a posi carrier and a good 3.08 ring and pinion in a box (used). A few months ago, I bought carrier bearings and shims to do the changeover. I then decided that since changing my wheels and tires had slowed my speedo down by 10%, I would just change over to the 3.08's and "correct" the speedo.

Since I would have had to borrow the tools to set the pinion depth, I decided to take it to a buddy who said he would do the whole thing for $150 (we go WAAAY back). Yesterday he called and said that there was a problem with the ring and pinion and that he couldn't get it set right (had to use WAAAY too many shims on the ring side of the carrier). After talking about it, we decided to stay with the 2.93's and just install the posi carrier. I went over yesterday afternoon and helped button it up and it works GREAT! Quiet as a church mouse and I no longer am a one-legger!

While I was there, he had another buddy show up who has a sweet, 10.2 sec., 421 SD, '63 Tempest, drag car. The buddy was all over me to trade my car for the Tempest, but I wasn't tempted in the slightest.

Now, the SCORE... The guy with the Tempest, said he had a posi carrier somewhere in the shop and that if I wanted it, I could have it for $50. I told him I was interested depending on which one it was. Well, he found it and it turned out to be a 3.36 and higher (numerically). Needless to say, I jumped on it.

So now, I'm going to collect parts and one of these days we'll go back into the differential and install a set of 3.36's. I'm not looking to go any lower, as I do drive this on the freeway.

All in all, a productive day!

We still cant figure out why the 3.08's didn't work though, as they were a matched set and had been run with that carrier in another housing.

Cheers!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Chuck, great score. 4-series carriers (3.36-4.33) are expensive and getting hard to find. That said, I pulled the 3.36 diff out of my '67 and installed a 2.56 posi a friend gave me (we also go way back!) and I love it. I drive mine a lot, and the improvement in cruising and mpg is huge. Weekend trips from Fresno to LA or up to Nevada City are a breeze. 20+ mpg at 75 mph. If your car is an auto, keep the 2.93's. It's a PERFECT ratio for a street driven car. Save the steep gears for your next goat...the one with the 4 speed! I'm running 3.36 gears in my stickshift '65 that came with 3.55's and had 3.90's in it, and they do fine. Not a high speed cruiser, but responsive and fun to drive.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Ya know GeeTee, when all is said and done, I may do exactly that! This thing cruises so nice and it'll never see a race track. I'm just having a hard time getting the boy racer out of my system. Sheesh, you'ld think that at 50, I would have outgrown that, wouldn't ya?

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Chuck, I'm 51, and here's how I do it: drive the '67 90% of the time, enjoy the sleek body lines and excellent gas mileage, as well as the smooth, effortless high speed cruising abilities. Then, about once a month, I fire up the '65, with it's nasty cam, high compression, 4 speed, tripower, and steeper gears, and I go and "clear the stale fuel" out of the end carbs. One cruiser and one hotrod. The real secret is that I bought both of these cars 30 years ago for peanuts and never got rid of them!! You could do the opposite: have a '67 hardtop cruiser, and build a hot 4 speed ragtop for your speed fix!! I know of a zero rust '64 LeMans convertible for sale...project, but all there....factory 4 speed car, too. The guy even has ALL the GTO parts....(he was going to clone it but never finished it)......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually going a slightly different direction for some fun... My youngest son (22) and I are building a '72 BMW 2002 with an '86 MBZ 2.3-16 (basically a Cosworth) and Getrag 5 sp. for an autocross car. This thing should weigh in at around 1750 lbs and have close to 200 HP when we get it in final tune. Hell, we may even throw a supercharger on it and be really stupid!

I had fun with my '63 Nova SS, but the Goat is a way better car. The Bimmer/Benz will be a completely different ride than either of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in