officially started - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
officially started

I have had just an impossible time getting started on my 65 restore. I am a perfectionist by nature but a pragmatist by necessity. I want my car to be a daily driver so after months of thinking and reconciling and realizing I am now going on 60 with not much time or money I am comfortable with the direction I am planning on for this restore. During these months of contemplation I have been equipping my work garage with the necessities to be able to work on my car in Wisconsin winters. WELL TODAY is the last stinkin time I cream my shine bone on that blasted trailer hitch( Which should not be on a gto). So my first official act in this restore is the amputation of this unnecessary growth on the rear end of my car. I hope the malice I put forth on this first act of restoration is not continued in the future. I love my car and my hope is it loves me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi I am working on a 1968 gto and the gas guage pegs past full .thought it was the guage in the dash replaced it with another one did the same thing .can anyone tell me how to test to find the problem
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelbox View Post
I have had just an impossible time getting started on my 65 restore. I am a perfectionist by nature but a pragmatist by necessity. I want my car to be a daily driver so after months of thinking and reconciling and realizing I am now going on 60 with not much time or money I am comfortable with the direction I am planning on for this restore. During these months of contemplation I have been equipping my work garage with the necessities to be able to work on my car in Wisconsin winters. WELL TODAY is the last stinkin time I cream my shine bone on that blasted trailer hitch( Which should not be on a gto). So my first official act in this restore is the amputation of this unnecessary growth on the rear end of my car. I hope the malice I put forth on this first act of restoration is not continued in the future. I love my car and my hope is it loves me back.
"She's a fickle lady and you have to dance to her tune Sonny or she'll feed you to the fishes".
It's as true today as when Skully first wrote it on the bathroom wall all those years ago.
You have to go into it with an open mind and an open wallet because cheap and GTO are not compatible.
She will be very demanding, a high maintenance prima donna and her pimp Mr. Ames will want a very large cut of the action.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
"She's a fickle lady and you have to dance to her tune Sonny or she'll feed you to the fishes".
It's as true today as when Skully first wrote it on the bathroom wall all those years ago.
You have to go into it with an open mind and an open wallet because cheap and GTO are not compatible.
She will be very demanding, a high maintenance prima donna and her pimp Mr. Ames will want a very large cut of the action.
OMG, So *@#% true!! I love the Prima Donna part and Mr Ames, the Pimp. After all you've been through with yours lately after the CVMS disaster , I'm glad to see you still have your sense of humor. Thank you for this quote, GR!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Former Moderator

Once you are in the pool all you can do is keep swimming or drown.
Eventually it will get done, it's always darkest before it goes pitch black.
Down to the final details, adjusted the headlights and will install the Delco faux battery cover when it arrives later today.
The predicted 3 feet of snow ended up being mostly rain with a 1" dusting on the way out so by mid week I should be able to get the goat out for more road testing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Squirrelbox, my advice is to move right along and get one or two things done each day. Perfect and never done gets trumped by good enough and being driven any day. I have several friends who have not driven their GTO's in over 20 years because they have gotten lost in the minute details. Do the job right and to factory standards, but don't get hung up on clear coating brake line clips. A driving restoration beats a pile of parts in the garage every time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Former Moderator

LOL!
I did clear coat my transmission filler tube but I didn't think about the brake line clips.
Once the weather warms up I will mask them off and take care of that oversight.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks guys. My wife told me to get it done and enjoy it before another 10 yrs goes by and I wont remember how to drive. I am determined to do a good job and make it derivable for me. This happens all the time to me when I am starting a project. I have a tendency to overwhelm myself with taking a direction. I do know once I get started I will enjoy the ride.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
It's like eating an elephant.....you do it one bite at a time. Eric, speaking to you earlier, I could tell you were a.....let's call it 'detail oriented' guy! Won't say the 'A' word right here! I have a friend who's also on this forum, and it took him about 8 months to paint his engine, which was out of the car, clean, and on an engine stand. Crazy stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in