Opinion Thread - '65 LeMans - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Opinion Thread - '65 LeMans

Everyone loves to give their opinion or thoughts on a situation. Right? Well, please give me your thoughts on my situation. There are no wrong opinions at this point, as I'm months away from starting on my car, a 1965 LeMans.

So I don't have to repeat my story, if you don't know about my car at this point please review the first couple pages of my introduction thread: LINK

I'm still in the pre-planning (dreaming) phases of my build, but I'm not just sitting by twiddling my thumbs doing nothing but typing and talking about it. I've been buying major items in preparation for what is ahead, and that has lead me to a bit of a fork in the road. I haven't quite made up my mind as to whether bring this car back to the showroom glory my mother received it in, or to muscle it up a bit.

I've been presented with a running Pontiac 400 for a good price if I want it, but I don't know if I want it. I could buy it, and stick it in the back of the garage until I'm ready for it. Or I could pass up the idea and just go the stock route.

If I bought the 400, then I would also buy a mini tub kit, narrow the rear end, and build the car so it could do wheelies from stop light to stop light.

If I don't...... then I'm going for stock. Bolt for bolt.

So, should I build a hot rod, or restore a rare Montero Red with Parchment interior, 326 Lemans that my mother ordered brand new from the local dealer? Is a numbers matching car worth anything if it's been wrecked the way mine has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A car that has been in the family for 46 years should be restored to showroom condition, I'm talking a complete nut and bolt frame off restoration.

Randy

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
...if you had just picked it up as a project with the damage i would probably lean the other way, but it being basically one owner original i would restore it to that. As long as the frame is put on a rack and brought back to tolerances it should not effect value as the resto will take care of any and all damaged parts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 PM

Wrecked/ rusted what ever as long as the repairs are of good quality and thorough. A restored car will usually bring better money then a street rod. Well one that is mild compared to an over the top one anyway.
It still comes down to what you want, the time, money, and skill that you want to put into a car. Dreams are dreams, and some will out way the pocket book, and/ or the skill and time you have.
What is it that really would make you love the car. Something you use a lot or something that you like to get your speed addiction filled. How many hours do you really have and how many boxes of mac and cheese are you willing to eat.

I have 7 muscle cars 2 of which are torn apart for total restoration, 2 dirt bikes, a street bike, a sport bike, 4 large aquariums, guns, and I love computer and first person shooter games. Plus a wife and kids, friends and family with many of the same. That need help as much as me. Throw in the wife's and kid's car, pick up truck, 2 trailers, 2 homes, and all the equipment and tools to keep it all going. It makes me want to head to the Keys and start living on the streets some times.

That all being said. What is real and what do you have right now? Does the car run, do you have another car that you are playing with? What is the interior like?

I really like the tail end of the 65. I like mini tubs and blown engines but also equally like pro touring car a lot. Eric's project is way cool but Rukie's 65 is also something I would be proud of to have.
Cars for me are hard to point and say this is the style I like and stay true to it. Kinda like music some times I like to have slipknot rattling the garage door and other times some Frank and Dean just seems the right thing to have going.
When I was 19 I started my 67 rs Camaro hard top project. I had a pile of cash a 427 block, heads, crank, intake and 30 dreams as to what direction I wanted to go. 2 years later it was pewter grey with medium dark blue Strips. 13:1 pistons and an aggressive head job. I was looking for the high 10's at the track. The interior was in good condition. The 350 trans was running well with a shift kit and the 3.73 10bolt posi would leave twin scares down the back roads. A couple times of unloading every thing the engine would give up the trans started singing a song of please stop it hurts very very bad and the car not moving turned me to not launch it like that anymore. So I started working the high bank S turns out in the Indianapolis back roads. Walking the car sideways all the way through the curves and watching in the rear view mirror as the smoke was coming off the fresh posi marks left on the corners was better the any friday night date. So I started to do the suspension and moved in a new direction.
Now that I am older I think for me it is a nice marriage of raw power and good performance all around in driving. This is how I am building the 66 hard top GTO keeping it's basics original. The body, interior, and it amenities like A/C. But putting in a healthy engine an over drive trans, sway bars, bushings and reasonable tires and rims for corning but not to crazy as to coast an arm and leg to replace or burn up to fast. This car didn't have an engine or trans when I started. It was a basket case and is a collection of parts. So doing what I am is easier in my mind then a car that is original. I have 4 others that are all original and that is why the 2 GTO's are first.

Now the convertible 67 GTO is another story on its build. I don't have the original engine but it is what it is and I feel it would be better to keep it close to what it was all along, no mods. I have a 68 400 GTO 2bbl engine and a 69 m21 from a camaro. I am still looking for a 67 3.55 posi. The body is all original. Never has been wrecked and is still all factory metal.

For you I would way my money and decide what is the 400 right now. Is it a more powerful engine then the 326? Is it so much more that you will really feel a difference? Do you have to do anything to it, rebuild, or are you wanting to add stuff to make it more powerful. How much is it going to yield and what is that coast as compared to leaving the 326 as is and adding the money to the whole project? Compared to if there is nothing wrong with the 326 and can run it as is.
400's are plentiful, so even in a few years you will be able to get one maybe not as cheap as now, or maybe even cheaper, who knows? I believe you posted that you had a 5 year truck resto. So I am sure you have an Idea of what is what.

If we are talking dreams then I guess the sky is the limit.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

To fill in a couple of your questions, likethat, I am in the middle of a different custom hot rod build right now. The Pontiac would be my second one.

I'm no more financially limited than the next average guy who is into cars. I have the means go either direction. Though I must admit, my wallet and my wife aren't as afraid of restorations, as they are of hot rod ideas.

The 400 is stock and would need to be built up, if I were to go that way.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM

A TRUE restoration is a far higher "bill" than a "hot rod". In today's world, it takes upwards of $80-100K to "do" one "right". The LeMans simply doesn't have the "resale" value. If it were a GTO, I'd have a different view.

The 400 is superior to the 326 in MANY ways. It is also the most solid basis for a "stock block" performance engine. It's quite easy to get more than 500 HP on 93 octane today, with a "461" (400 block, 4.25" stroke).

Build what YOU want!

Jim
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
If I bought the 400, then I would also buy a mini tub kit, narrow the rear end, and build the car so it could do wheelies from stop light to stop light.

?
doing wheelies from stoplight to stoplight is probably not your best option. unless you want to experience jail.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
doing wheelies from stoplight to stoplight is probably not your best option. unless you want to experience jail.
errrrrr.... that was kind of a joke.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Ghost Town, I vote for a re-do of the original paint and interior, with upgraded insulation, and running the 400 V8 with a mild build. Tubbed cars on the street are as silly as the "MACHO" on the side of a Macho Trans Am, and are totally '80's. You can get nice aftermarket tires and wheels that will hook up, handle well, and look great. The F.A.S.T cars running original spec rubber and rims are in the 9's and 10's....all with no tubs and no butchering. My vote is for a stock looking LeMans with some juice under the hood and the original 326 packed in cosmoline in a bag stored away safe. Understated and capable is way cooler than in your face bling. "Speak softly and carry a big stick" --Tedddy Roosevelt
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i'm with geeteeohguy, sleepers are great. put a mild cam into that 400 so you've got good midrange and leave everyone looking at your tail lights.

that is, of course, if you don't want to do a full frame off resto. that would be very cool in it's own right and if you're already building a hot rod, a well done resto on this could make the car a nice cruiser.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in