opinions on black buckets w/parchment door panels - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
 
clevelandpartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
opinions on black buckets w/parchment door panels

Anyone ever seen a 69' GTO interior with black buckets/rear seats and parchment door/sail panels? I know they didn't come from the factory this way but am wondering if it would look ok. I'm redoing my interior and have a brand new set of parchment door panels both front and back which I will probably use, but I'm not so sure I want to complete the interior with parchment seats. I always preferred black buckets. The old seat covers are trashed so I have an opportunity to change all the seat covers to black. I can't find any images of any cars that look this way so just asking you guys for your opinion. I even did a crude edit of a bitmap file of an interior to help me make up my mind. Opinions? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0908phr_10_z+1969_pontiac_gto+restored_interior.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	118519  
clevelandpartsguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 PM
 
PontiacJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandpartsguy View Post
Anyone ever seen a 69' GTO interior with black buckets/rear seats and parchment door/sail panels? I know they didn't come from the factory this way but am wondering if it would look ok. I'm redoing my interior and have a brand new set of parchment door panels both front and back which I will probably use, but I'm not so sure I want to complete the interior with parchment seats. I always preferred black buckets. The old seat covers are trashed so I have an opportunity to change all the seat covers to black. I can't find any images of any cars that look this way so just asking you guys for your opinion. I even did a crude edit of a bitmap file of an interior to help me make up my mind. Opinions? Thanks.

Might not look bad. The lower area of the door panels will have the strip of black carpeting on them which should pick up and blend with the black seats. Of course black carpeting and black dashpad.

I might also use a black arm rest pad to break up the door panel as well.

On my '68 Lemans, I am "customizing" my interior going with parchment. But, I don't like the '68 bulky arm rests nor the door/window handles. So I am using the earlier 1961-'67 rear chromed plastic bases with the stainless ash trays and a black top pad. For door/window handles I like the much better looking contour of the 1964 handles. I just pulled a junk pair of 1969 Olds Cutlass front buckets with head rests out of a Pull-A Part yard today in hopes I can retro-fit the head rest framing into my '68 seat frames so I can add the head rests. I am also leaning towards making my dash gauge panel a glossy white rather than the wood grain, and have an aftermarket black ABS dash pad cover I am going to try to go over my cracked/split original dash pad.

I also have a 1966 "Lemans" grab handle that I am going to fit above my glove box - one way or the other. That grab handle in my opinion is iconic and hated to see it disappear after 1967. It just says, "Haaaaaang On! - cause you are going to need to." LOL

I want something a little different, so why not personalize?
clevelandpartsguy likes this.
PontiacJim is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
 
clevelandpartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks Jim , Yes the parchment door panels have the black carpet strip, and the dash/console/carpet are black as well. the car is a code 257 parchment interior. I appreciate your comment as I just dont want to swap seat colors and end up looking like a half-assed, monkeyed-up '69 GTO. I'm just not a fan of parchment buckets, and I have this set of fully assembled brand new parchment door panels, probably would take too long to sell them and I would take a loss on them as well. They cost like $465/set.

hearing what you're doing to personalize your 68' interior has me thinking go ahead with mine, Im not too familiar with the '66 "grab bar" so I found a picture of one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71232041.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	118521  
clevelandpartsguy is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM
 
PontiacJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Posts: 3,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandpartsguy View Post
Thanks Jim , Yes the parchment door panels have the black carpet strip, and the dash/console/carpet are black as well. the car is a code 257 parchment interior. I appreciate your comment as I just dont want to swap seat colors and end up looking like a half-assed, monkeyed-up '69 GTO. I'm just not a fan of parchment buckets, and I have this set of fully assembled brand new parchment door panels, probably would take too long to sell them and I would take a loss on them as well. They cost like $465/set.

hearing what you're doing to personalize your 68' interior has me thinking go ahead with mine, Im not too familiar with the '66 "grab bar" so I found a picture of one.
Yep, that is the grab bar. It means all business under the hood! LOL

Maybe hang the door panels in place (not attach them) and set a bucket seat on the floor. If it is still parchment, throw a black plastic bag over it to simulate a black bucket seat covering. Close the door and look in from the other side and take it all in. I think the black arm rest pad and/or black arm rest base would break up all the white on the door.

I am going with parchment because as a single, dirty old man, any gal who rides in my car can't get the parchment dirty and will have to ride naked. That's my thinking on it all - at least in theory.
clevelandpartsguy likes this.
PontiacJim is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
 
clevelandpartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Yep, that is the grab bar. It means all business under the hood! LOL

Maybe hang the door panels in place (not attach them) and set a bucket seat on the floor. If it is still parchment, throw a black plastic bag over it to simulate a black bucket seat covering. Close the door and look in from the other side and take it all in. I think the black arm rest pad and/or black arm rest base would break up all the white on the door.

I am going with parchment because as a single, dirty old man, any gal who rides in my car can't get the parchment dirty and will have to ride naked. That's my thinking on it all - at least in theory.
That's a great idea about the black plastic bag, I do have the seats with the old beat up dirty parchment, Ill try that tomorrow and report back. Im divorced, single and getting kinda old too, I could put up with a gal riding along naked here as well, parchment seats or black its all the same on the buns LOL
clevelandpartsguy is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
 
clevelandpartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
so I did a test today, I bought some of the Dupli-Color flat black vinyl dye and taped off my old parchment bucket seat and did a quick and dirty dye job on most of it.

I set it in the car and hung one of my new parchment panels and made a few pictures. I liked it, I am going to go with the black seats/parchment panels. OPGI having an Easter sale this weekend so I'll get a good price on some front seat covers.

Also, I was really impressed with the vinyl dye it looks and feels pretty good, flexible too. So My plan is to re-upholster the front seats with foam and black covers, dye the front seat backs and sides black, dye the headrests, and I'm even going to carefully dye the entire back seat rather than re-covering it since the rear seats in excellent shape except for the parchment being discolored there are no cracks or tears or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5381.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	118527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5382.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	738.2 KB
ID:	118529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	118531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5384.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	118533  
PontiacJim likes this.
clevelandpartsguy is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM
64-67 Expert
 
geeteeohguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 8,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
It'll look just fine, but Parchment buckets would look even better, IMO. Cooler to sit on, too.
1968gto421 likes this.
geeteeohguy is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
 
clevelandpartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
It'll look just fine, but Parchment buckets would look even better, IMO. Cooler to sit on, too.
thanks geetee , I just dont like the parchment, like in the pictures I dyed the old parchment bucket black last night and set it in place. black bucket with parchment doors and I fell in love with the black buckets ! I just haven't seen any other parchment car with this color scheme. Maybe i'll start a trend?
clevelandpartsguy is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 AM
 
GTOJUNIOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
IMHO you can't improve perfection; But it is yours to do as you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 PARCHMENT.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	118547  
1968gto421 and integrity6987 like this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
GTOJUNIOR is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM
 
GTORAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny. I’m thinking of going the opposite and doing Parchment seats in my black interior 69 convertible. Those black seats can get hot in sun. I to was curious on how the two-tone would look. I’ll try the trash bag trick with white bags.
clevelandpartsguy likes this.
GTORAD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
67 GTO Black to Parchment Mathew Sokos 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions 5 09-17-2016 07:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome