Over heating - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over heating

My 69 doesn't like this Texas heat and its not even hot yet. If anyone can help I sure can use it. I flushed my radiator, new water pump. I did away with the pump fan and I put two 13' electric fans in that are flush on my radiator. These fans spin around 3000 rpm. The thing I can only think of is to have it polled out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How many rows does your radiator have?

What temp thermostat?

Have you let the car run from cold to hot and watched to ensure the thermostat is opening?

When you flushed the radiator how did the flow look?

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
And, what temp is it running?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM

I'm thinking radiator too. They get old and clogged and all the flushing in the world won't help. Nice GTO BTW.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Most radiator shops up here won't consider rodding out a core anymore. Once the tanks are removed it's just as cost effective to install a new core. You can even buy complete replacement radiators pretty cheap on the web. I bought one for a 67 Camaro that looks very close to original with 3 rows for under 200 bucks SHIPPED to my door !!!

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM

When you replaced the pump, did you check the clearance between the pump impeller and the divider plate? You need to make it as close as possible. Somewhere in one of these forums is a post on what to look for , but I believe that you need to make the clearance less than an eighth of an inch. any more than that, and your pump's efficiency drops considerably. If your clearance is more than the minimum, you can gently re-shape your divider plate with a mallet.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Well the theromstat is an 182 if that sounds right? Its the old Harrison radiator that has on the outside 9 grooves or rows. If that makes any sense. My car runs bout 190 avg. but on highway it can get up to 210+, just running. After I shut it off it goes to bout 230. Therom is new by the way. Bob Im not sure what you mean, the water pump plate looked ok to me, can you explain? I guess I don't know what the impeller is do you mean the fan inside the pump? The Flow of water looks good, I even ran A garden hose through one end , didn't look clogged.

Last edited by POOF; 05-13-2009 at 07:34 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOF View Post
... Bob Im not sure what you mean, the water pump plate looked ok to me, can you explain? I guess I don't know what the impeller is do you mean the fan inside the pump? The Flow of water looks good, I even ran A garden hose through one end , didn't look clogged.
The impeller is indeed that fan-looking thing inside the pump. The divider plate goes between the impeller and the engine block. The clearance is between the blades of the impeller and the divider plate.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POOF View Post
Well the theromstat is an 182 if that sounds right? Its the old Harrison radiator that has on the outside 9 grooves or rows. If that makes any sense. My car runs bout 190 avg. but on highway it can get up to 210+, just running. After I shut it off it goes to bout 230. Therom is new by the way. Bob Im not sure what you mean, the water pump plate looked ok to me, can you explain? I guess I don't know what the impeller is do you mean the fan inside the pump? The Flow of water looks good, I even ran A garden hose through one end , didn't look clogged.
Up here in the north I run at 190 most of the time. A little higher when we get some hot summer days, 200 or maybe a little more. All motors climb after you shut them off. I'm not exactly sure how the electric fans work, but I believe you can keep them running after you shut it down until the engine reaches a certain preset cooler temp. I could be wrong, but I don't think you have that big of a problem considering you live in the scourching heat. If you were talking 240 - 260 then I would say you would have some issues. I know someone will correct if I'm way out of line.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
68GreenGoat is right on the money. My experience with Pontiac 400's (and all Pontiacs, really) is that they like to run on the warm side...especially '67's. On a 80-90 degree day, temps in the 210-220 range are pretty much the norm. I run a 160 'stat, re-cored 4-row Harrison radiator, and a 19 inch Caddillac Flex fan off a '69 472 on mine. I also run a fan shroud and just recently switched to Water Wetter. The Water Wetter helped! Here in Fresno, we have temps over 100 degrees pretty much every day from late June to late August. It was almost 90 today, and we're looking at over 100 this weekend. My '67 doesn't like it, but it doesn't overheat (much) either. Your temps sound normal to me. 230 plus: I'd start to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in