Painting my GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Painting my GTO

Im getting ready to strip the old paint on my goat, there's several different colors. I have a few questions, 1- what's the best way to do the job and why, 2- what's the worst way and why and 3- what should I do to prep the metal.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
NEVER sandblast as sandblasting can generate enough heat to warp your body panels and ruin a good car. Although there are a good assortment of media specifically made for paint stripping on sheetmetal, you will have to pay someone to do it and I still don't really trust it.

Here is a video that might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzo7eicjm1U

That is a hand held grinder with a soft backing pad that you apply a "sticky" sandpaper disc. You can get these at your local autobody/ paint supplier or perhaps other places. I have used this myself to strip paint off cars. I don't recall what grit paper to use, but your autobody supplier can certainly recommend the grit. Again, use a little common sense so as not to get the surface too hot by constantly moving and not staying in one place too long. Let the disc do the work and not force or bear down with heavy force on the grinder because you want to speed things up. When the disc clogs up and does not cut very well, replace it, don't try to "stretch it" to save money because you may not be cutting the paint and simply causing friction that heats the surface -which you don't want. You will get a knack for this after a little time doing it.

You will want to wear goggles and a face mask -you don't want to breathe that crap in. It is going to get dusty. Keep this in mind where ever your car is positioned 'cause the grinding dust will cover everything.

Other methods are a DA sander, but you need a compressor. DA will be slower, but works. Chemical paint stripper - but it is messy. And then you have to wash/neutralize it off the panel. Now your panel is wet and subject to rusting quicker if you don't paint/prep it in a timely manner. Personally, never used the chemicals for that reason -too messy.

Bare Metal prep. This has been covered on some other threads. You want an epoxy primer -which has been recommended many times and I have not personally used it. The average red/grey primer is not a sealer. So moisture can penetrate and rust develops under/through the paint. Works just fine for short term coverage, but projects always seem to be long term -at least mine are. You can also use a metal etch primer which I have used. This blog gives you the differences between the two and their applications for use and why. It would appear that the epoxy may be the better option if you need to do bondo work. Again, personally, I don't like to put bondo over anything other than roughed up bare metal, so if I used epoxy or metal etch, I would still cut through it anyway to give the bondo a good bite. Here is the article: Epoxy vs. Self-Etching Primer for Painting Bare Metal | Gearhead Diva

Hopefully you will get more input. I am no expert who does a lot of cars, and haven't stripped or painted a car in about 25 years, but used to when younger and this is how I did them. There may be a better way.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on the condition of the coatings that are on it now. Unless you don't have a choice, do not remove the factory baked on primer. There's just no way to duplicate the kind of adhesion and protection that stuff provides in any other way than how the factory did it. Do you have any rust/damage to deal with? Any bare metal? If not, and if what's there now is "stuck good" then what I'd do would be to sand it all over with a sequence of 220, 400, then 600 to get a uniform surface and also to leave some "tooth" for the new coatings to adhere to, then I'd follow that with a coat of high quality epoxy primer reduced to use as a sealer (follow the manufacturer's data sheets) to get a uniform color and also to give you some protection from the effects of incompatibility between the existing finish and the new paint, then continue with your top coats (single stage color or base + clear).

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, a lot of good info so far, thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in