Parts list for Hideaways? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parts list for Hideaways?

Since my 69' is already a clone, I'd like to go further and add hideaways. I've seen the electric motor kits like this on ebay:GTO Hideaway headlight electric door conversion | eBay . Can somebody post a parts list needed in addition to these motors??? Thank you

1969 GTO clone, stock 400 motor and 400TH transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Garage
First you need completely different bumper brackets. They are currently not reproduced and are rather difficult to find. (And can be pricy if you do find them)

You will need the headlight buckets and door assembly.
And a few other small parts. You won't need the vacuum components if you are going electric.

Here's a couple of pictures for reference.

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
If you have an endura bumper you won't need the different brackets for the hideaways. The brackets you have will have the proper holes for a stock setup and you are going aftermarket anyway. I fabbed up my own electric setup and it was pretty simple really and way cheaper.

I have both and chose to run the non hideaway brackets because they are lighter. My car originally had hideaways but when I bought a different endura bumper from a fixed headlight car it had the different brackets.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
If you have an endura bumper you won't need the different brackets for the hideaways. The brackets you have will have the proper holes for a stock setup and you are going aftermarket anyway. I fabbed up my own electric setup and it was pretty simple really and way cheaper.

I have both and chose to run the non hideaway brackets because they are lighter. My car originally had hideaways but when I bought a different endura bumper from a fixed headlight car it had the different brackets.
Really??

I had always heard and been told the standard brackets interfere with the headlight doors because of how they attach. (wouldn't let them open and close freely)

Well learn something new everyday.

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

ok, assuming my brackets will work, I found a set of Hideaway housing assemblies on Ames website for $750 part number B144 and the actuator arms for $89/pr part B147B. Is this all I need besides the actual headlight buckets and the actual outer headlight doors and junkyard door motors??? It seems like piecing this kit together is almost the same as the $1199 vacuum actuated kit from Ames.

1969 GTO clone, stock 400 motor and 400TH transmission
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 04:02 PM

Looking into the same issue you had now, did you ever find a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in