pcv elimanation - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pcv elimanation

can any one help me i don't want to run a pcv valve but im worried about blowing oil out of my dipstick tube does any one have any solutions thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Why is it that you do not want to run a PCV valve?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SOFTTOPGTO View Post
can any one help me i don't want to run a pcv valve but im worried about blowing oil out of my dipstick tube does any one have any solutions thank you
As you've surmised, without PCV you still need some system to allow crankcase pressure to escape, otherwise it's going to cause problems like kicking oil out the dipstick tube, pushing out gaskets and seals, etc.

There are two solutions that come to mind: going back to the old style (pre-PCV) type system that just vents the pressure to the atmosphere, or running a race-style "pan evacuation" system that "pulls" the pressure into your header collectors and/or uses an engine-driven vacuum pump. The former is "bad" for pollution and doesn't work all that well unless the car is moving (and may prevent your car from passing inspection), the second can be expensive and often isn't recommended for street use because the pumps aren't designed to survive for long in that kind of environment.

Personally, I'd recommend running the PCV system. It's inexpensive, it works well, and there's very little "down side" to it. If you're worried about crankcase vapors diluting your intake charge and costing you power, realize that under WOT conditions when the manifold vacuum is at or very near zero, the PCV valve is going to tend to be -closed-, so no crankcase vapors will be present to dilute the charge. At WOT, it'll open only when crankcase pressure gets high enough to force it open - when you need it to be. Even then, unless you've got lots of cylinder blowby due to cylinder sealing issues, the air that comes out of your crankcase is still going to contain oxygen and therefore is still useable for the purposes of making power.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
It's a disadvantage to NOT run a PCV valve. You're opening up the door for oil leaks and poor performance in general. Bear said it with the most tact and listed all the reasons. I'll leave it at that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Got to agree with the last 2 replies. Some don't like the idea of oil vapor entering the intake side as there is always some oil in the mix. The addition of a "catch can" in the PVC line is an option. Really just an air/oil seperator that permits little if any oil past it. Every few thousand miles you drain the can depending on it's design. I recently installed one in my "new" car a G8GT, after 3000 miles it had collected a little over a tablespoon of oil that would have otherwise been inhaled.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply's idont have a vac source i need a pcv, pdb,trans mod,and advance on the distriburtor im running a victor manifold with a quick fuel carb
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SOFTTOPGTO View Post
thanks for the reply's idont have a vac source i need a pcv, pdb,trans mod,and advance on the distriburtor im running a victor manifold with a quick fuel carb
Shouldn't be difficult to drill and tap a hole into the intake near the plenum, and insert a hose barb fitting. That's where mine's connected.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in