The pesky small stuff... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The pesky small stuff...

Am I the only one that during my restoration I got to a point where I was like lets just get it running, I can do all the little stuff after that. Just get it where I can drive it some?

Got it running last year and been piddling around fixing small stuff on and off ever since. Two weeks ago, I thought I would figure out why the dome light was staying on. Turned out the ground tab on the headlight switch was bent to where it stayed ground. That turned into, working on the fuel gauge, then blower motor switch, then LED's in the gauges, then dash speakers. The I used my label maker and labeled wires under the dash so I do not have to trace them down again.

The blower motor switch is a hard part to find in stock. I never found anyone that had it. So I got irritated took the switch apart, cleaned the contacts inside, and lightly greased all the moving parts on the HVAC control panel. Then decided to tear it apart and paint the inside silver so the light would be brighter.

The dash speaker. I seen a post on PY where a dude gutted the speaker and mounted 2 - 3.5 speakers in its frame. So I thought, hell thats a great idea. So I did that also!

Stock fuel gauge I never could get to work. I have an aftermarket one and since my clock didnt work I gutted it and install that gauge into its housing and mounted it up in the dash where the clock normally would be. Plan to get all speedhut gauges anyhow.

So tonight I installed the speakers in the dash, wired them up, Installed the HVAC controls and got it all in nice and neat. Should be nice driving now knowing I will have heat if I need it (AC will be fixed after some $$ is saved), I can see my gauges, and I got dash speakers now. The pesky small stuff is the sometimes the most aggravating, yet the most rewarding in some aspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Orbit, I have to agree. 3 years ago, after driving my '67 GTO for 27 years with a broken clock and a cracked lens, I pulled the dash, had the clock rebuilt, replaced the lens, redid the bulbs, replaced the heater cables, installed a new in dash speaker, etc. My car has never been restored, and I've driven it about 130,000 miles in the past 30 years, but it gets a little bit 'better' every year. When you can get in a 40-50 year old car and everything actually works as it should, it's very satisfying, IMO. Congrats on trudging thru the tough stuff....underdash was never a favorite of mine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Orbit, I have to agree. 3 years ago, after driving my '67 GTO for 27 years with a broken clock and a cracked lens, I pulled the dash, had the clock rebuilt, replaced the lens, redid the bulbs, replaced the heater cables, installed a new in dash speaker, etc. My car has never been restored, and I've driven it about 130,000 miles in the past 30 years, but it gets a little bit 'better' every year. When you can get in a 40-50 year old car and everything actually works as it should, it's very satisfying, IMO. Congrats on trudging thru the tough stuff....underdash was never a favorite of mine.
Thats a cool story! Im with you on the satisfying part. I like for all the little stuff to work. Especially on these older cars. I even installed a new lighter socket. I don't smoke but wanted it to work so I could charge my cell phone if I needed to. And the clock rarely works on old cars, so thats nice you had your repaired.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Orbit, it was less than $50 to have the clock repaired, too. Found the guy in Hemmings. The neat thing was, last year a co-worker and I went on a long road trip to a car show and about an hour into the drive, he looked at the clock and said "Hey! Your clock works!" when he looked at the dash to check the time. He was amazed. Also, with the new plastic lens on the clock and other gauges, the gauges look like new. Recently, I spent a Saturday installing an NOS driver's side door handle on the same car, and while I was at it, aligned the side glass perfectly so that it now seals perfectly against the 1/4 glass. The wind noise I had for the past 30 years is gone, and the pitted door handle is gone....which always bugged me because it's the first thing you put your hand on when driving the car! Bottom line is, it's amazing how nice an unrestored car can be with all the details handled one at a time. You can have a perfectly functional car that appears restored to a non-car person. Happy 4th!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Orbit, thats my new plan. Put it back together and enjoy it. I've had my car 2 years. It needs to be on the road. It doesn't need to look pretty now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Happy 4th to you guys too!

I thought about getting my clock fixed, but I think I am going to install some speedhut gauges in the near future. geeteeohguy, you have an awesome car. I often wonder how many cars that are on the road today, will still be putting around in 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in