User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
PHS Documentation

Well this just stinks!

I was told when I purchased my 1965 GTO that the "car's documentation was lost in the fire, so the usual PHS paperwork isn't available". My thought at the time it wouldn't be an issue as I would just request the documentation from PHS Automotive Services.

I received a letter from PHS stating " your vehicle is not on our microfilm. Years ago, when the information was transferred to microfilm, some of the vehicle files were omitted, others were illegible".

Very disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Another excellent reason to research the car before you buy it. The car is probably the real deal, and can easily be proven as such by the Protect-o-Plate, if you have it. If not, it's a harder car to re-sell, authentic or not. If you bought it to keep it, and drive it, it doesn't matter much at all, but it's still nice to see what it came with originally if it has been monkeyed with or restored.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have always thought what would happen is something currently happened to the PHS business and their paperwork was destroyed or no longer available. Only the surviving cars with protect-o-plate would be worth any amount of money.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Years ago, had not Jim Mattison been called in the middle of the night to be informed intruders had broken into his office and had he not shown up with the police and caught GM personnel red handed who broke into his office to steal all the information on Pontiac, all archived information would have been destroyed. They were there to remove micro films and documents to destroy them. Mattison and PHS who acquired all Pontiac Historical date legally and lawfully was sued by GM, they wanted the information back to destroy the documents PHS had acquired lawfully. PHS prevailed in court but part of the settlement was PHS was to drop the word Pontiac from it's title, so the letter P is now silent.

Had GM managed to destroy the data, none of us would have birth documents worth anything.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Years ago, had not Jim Mattison been called in the middle of the night to be informed intruders had broken into his office and had he not shown up with the police and caught GM personnel red handed who broke into his office to steal all the information on Pontiac, all archived information would have been destroyed. They were there to remove micro films and documents to destroy them. Mattison and PHS who acquired all Pontiac Historical date legally and lawfully was sued by GM, they wanted the information back to destroy the documents PHS had acquired lawfully. PHS prevailed in court but part of the settlement was PHS was to drop the word Pontiac from it's title, so the letter P is now silent.

Had GM managed to destroy the data, none of us would have birth documents worth anything.
Especially good news when you hear that there are businesses that specialize in faking VIN numbers and data plates on Corvettes...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have the Protect-o-Plate and the car is original, just wanted that documentation.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:36 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
As good as it gets, then. I have the POP for my '65, which is a very well optioned car, so I didn't bother with a PHS for the first 25 years I had it. No POP for my '67, but it's a lot-filler, run of the mill optioned car and is a real GTO, so I've never bothered with a PHS. Owned it over 30 years as well. The '64 and '65's are very easy to fake, due to no difference in the VIN codes. The POP is the ace in the hole for sure!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I am mistaken, I don't have the POP as I originally thought. Oh well. I don't plan to sell the car, just drive and enjoy. I've done a complete break job on the car, but kept the drum breaks. They don't bother me nor do they bother my wife when she drives it. I've removed the dash and sent it out for reurbishment. Will keep it original as there are after market gauges installed. I've purchased a Pontiac vacuum gauge and will attach it to the new console when it arrives. I've also removed the seats and am having new foam installed and the springs rebuilt, upholstery is in very good condition. New carpet came with the vehicle and I'll get that installed also. Next winter will be an engine rebuild. I'd like the 389 to put out ~450 - 475 HP.

I need some help satisfying my curiosity about this car. Can I get some help deciphering the numbers that I have attached?

Attachment 50649

Attachment 50657

Attachment 50665

Last edited by zrsteve; 11-30-2016 at 03:52 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrsteve View Post
I am mistaken, I don't have the POP as I originally thought. Oh well. I don't plan to sell the car, just drive and enjoy. I've done a complete break job on the car, but kept the drum breaks. They don't bother me nor do they bother my wife when she drives it. I've removed the dash and sent it out for reurbishment. Will keep it original as there are after market gauges installed. I've purchased a Pontiac vacuum gauge and will attach it to the new console when it arrives. I've also removed the seats and am having new foam installed and the springs rebuilt, upholstery is in very good condition. New carpet came with the vehicle and I'll get that installed also. Next winter will be an engine rebuild. I'd like the 389 to put out ~450 - 475 HP.

I need some help satisfying my curiosity about this car. Can I get some help deciphering the numbers that I have attached?

Attachment 50649

Attachment 50657

Attachment 50665
65 Tempest Lemans 2 dr Coupe built in Fremont Ca.
Lower color Mayfair Maize with Starlight black top Black vinyl interior

Cowl tag decoder:

Data Tag Decoder (datatagdecoder.com)

W-S engine 389 360 HP

You don't have a GTO, 2nd and 3rd digit in VIN# for GTO I believe would be 42

Last edited by Goat Roper; 01-11-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in