Is PHS worth it? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is PHS worth it?

I see alot of comments referring people to order PHS. What info comes with that. My car for example, has basically nothing original too it. Interior is gone motor is gone rear end and so on and so forth. I know where the parts came from, after running numbers, and obviously the stuff i did. I would like to know more history on the car though. I have all the history to 1988 but before that nothing. And on another note. Can anyone tell me what a factory 428 red lines at? Google really gives me way to many answers that are not even close to the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
all PHS will do is help verify if a car is in its original state. Won't show any other history. The 428 without forged rods should be kept under 5000 RPM for it to live a long and healthy life.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you on both

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
X2!! Keep that 428 under 5 grand. And the big journal blocks don't like sustained rpms over 3500, either.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
all PHS will do is help verify if a car is in its original state. Won't show any other history.
So if you have a car that has been "pieced together" or had extensive restoration (specifically virtually every part replaced), then you can not get PHS certification? Or is PHS certification certifying original as either original to car or original factory (non reproduction) parts? For on my car, there is very little left of the "original" car. I have the quarters, floor, trunk, frame, and firewall as original to car. Although all parts are original factory parts, everything else on my car is not original to the car.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The PHS will tell you if the car was a factory GTO or not, and all options that came with the car from the factory.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
The PHS will tell you if the car was a factory GTO or not, and all options that came with the car from the factory.

PHS supplies you with the original paperwork from the factory that was supplied to the dealership including the car's billing history and order build sheet. You see a lot of for sale ads on GTOs that state "PHS Certified" which in my opinion indicates the car has the original equipment and is the same color as when it was purchased new. On 64, 65 and 72 GTO's the PHS documents are a must have prior to a purchase.

Randy

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:04 PM

I would add that there is no such thing as "Certification" from PHS.

As stated above, the PHS documentation for a vehicle will identify the original equipment/options/colors/dealer codes and other details.
It's up to the owner or prospective buyer to use the PHS documents to determine if the car is "as -built" or if it has been modified/changed.

maktope, the PHS package for your car WILL tell you where and when it was originally built and delivered. That might be helpful as far as your car's history is concerned. But if you are not interested in restoring it to "original" condition, I can't see much other benefit in getting the PHS package.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I'll add this: I've seen tripower and HO cars on the internet for sale listed as PHS Certified" and the seller was simply stating he had the PHS...NOT what was ON the PHS. Example : "1965 GTO, PHS Certified, tripower, 4 speed, Black with red interior. Highly desirable car with rare color combo." The PHS he has actually says, yes, it's a GTO, but it WAS ORIGINALLY Alamo Biege with a 4 barrel and an automatic. You need to be careful. I ordered the PHS on my own '65 after I had the car for 25 years, just for the heck of it. I KNEW it was a real tripower 4 speed car, because I had the protecto plate, and I bought it before there were clones and knew what real tripower cars had come with (special core support). The neat thing was, I found out my car originally had manual steering and no outside rearview mirror. (I already knew it had no seatbelts, because I had to install them). I also found out it came with whitewall tires and custom spinner wheel covers (had mags on it when I got it). So, you can learn some stuff about how your car was built from the PHS docs. On my '67 GTO ragtop, I never bothered with the PHS: I've had the car 30 years, and it's numbers matching, but nothing special: base engine, automatic, etc. No real reason for me to get the PHS...I know how it was built, as it's still that way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
PHS Docs

In your situation the PHS Docs are unnecessary. If you were doing a restoration to Day One specs, then yes, but otherwise, don't bother. When you or yours go to sell your Goat, be aware that most buyers seem to think that the PHS Docs are somehow mandatory...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in