Plastic tri-power RA tray? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Plastic tri-power RA tray?

Fired up the Tempest today for the first time in a few months, been space limited with the weather keeping me from laying my concrete in the new Digs. Sound and feel of that motor got me salivating to get back on a few of the projects that got put on the backburner.

I have heard of and seen plastic Tri-power RA trays, does anyone know who or if there is still a supplier for these? I want the plastic because i will be converting it to use with the dual quads and will have to cut and mold carb side to fit my carb spacing and height.

GTO hood is going to painters tomorrow to get the new latch part of the support cut out and new piece from a member welded in. Will be soda blasted smoothed out and painted car color inside and out with Powder coated functional RA Insert thanks to jetstang (silver or black???...value your opinions)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Even it you get a repro steel pan you can just cut the middle out and replace with the proper one to fit your dual quads.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you referring to Fiberglass? If yes, I believe that both Ames and Parts Place sold these at one time. Fiberglass tray would work the best for later modification.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I have a fiberglass tray that I bought in 1980 for $40. The openings for the carbs are formed,(belled) and to modify it for 2 fours would require so much cutting, there would be no point. You'd have a bottomless tray. You'd be much better off to use a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and cut it to fit. The foam just glues around the outside perimeter (mine is disintegrating).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks for the tips guys. Thinking my best route may be start from scratch with the metal trays at 130 bucks. Good idea on the aluminum GeeTee, was leaning towards something that looks stock though. I know my cars a mish mash of parts but i've tried to keep it all pontiac in spirit. Anyone got a crappy old tri-power pan they wanna off?....LOL, and i'm a cheapskate at heart.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
You can use Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black on the aluminum if you don't want to paint it. It gives a nice black finish that's permanent and won't burn or chip off. It's available at gun stores. You wont see much of it anyway, with the carbs and foam taking up most of the view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in