pontiac 400 block is this junk - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pontiac 400 block is this junk

please help was this 400 cast this way or was it damaged ????? any info will help looks like some type of hack job repair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	21578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It's hard to tell from just a photo. Looks like at some point in its past though someone cared enough about it to install studs for the lifter cover instead of using the factory bolts - that's something. If it were me, I'd go ahead and strip the block then take it to a good machine shop to have it cleaned and then magnafluxed to check for any cracks, and get their opinion on it. If you've got a die grinder, go ahead and spend some time knocking off all the sharp edges and removing rough casting flash (like around the outsides of the lifter bosses).

Now would be a good time to pick up a copy of Jim Hand's and/or Rocky Rotella's books about building Pontiacs, if you don't already have them.

How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8s by Jim Hand | 9781884089671 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V-8s by Rocky Rotella | 9781934709948 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 AM

hinged block

That's so strange. Seems I've seen that exact "patch" on another block many years ago. Looked like an old door hinge. I swear I've seen it!...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
That's so strange. Seems I've seen that exact "patch" on another block many years ago. Looked like an old door hinge. I swear I've seen it!...
its very strange i was hoping it was a cast like that from GM i dont have the $$$ to send it out i cleaned aera and it looks like part of block it doess not look good ..... maybe it is a one off ram air 6 block I need one of the great pontiac masters to tell what it is

Last edited by mbspeed; 05-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 PM

If I had to guess I'd say they are patches to the forms they used for the original sand casting. Check out this Car Craft pic. Looks kinda familiar.

Pontiac 400 Poncho Engine Build Je Pistons Photo 5
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Roboto View Post
If I had to guess I'd say they are patches to the forms they used for the original sand casting. Check out this Car Craft pic. Looks kinda familiar.

Pontiac 400 Poncho Engine Build Je Pistons Photo 5
I can see like a shadow of the same patten thank you for the picture i need to sell this motor dont want to have a problem with a cracked block :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in