Pontiacs in the news - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pontiacs in the news

Well, fellow GTO owners, the good news is that there is a picture today of a 1967 GTO drop top on the cover of The New York Times above the fold. The bad news is that the byline is "Its Musccle Car Glory Faded, Pontiac Shrivels With Age." The story is about GM demoting Pontiac to a "niche" brand, whatever that means. I test drove a G8 the other day and it was really nice, responsive and comfortable to drive, but I don't need another car (I wish I did, because Pontiac dealers are offering some great deals.). Anyway, the article commented on Pontiac's "Glory Days," as Jim Wangers would describe them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurfield001 View Post
Well, fellow GTO owners, the good news is that there is a picture today of a 1967 GTO drop top on the cover of The New York Times above the fold. The bad news is that the byline is "Its Musccle Car Glory Faded, Pontiac Shrivels With Age." The story is about GM demoting Pontiac to a "niche" brand, whatever that means. I test drove a G8 the other day and it was really nice, responsive and comfortable to drive, but I don't need another car (I wish I did, because Pontiac dealers are offering some great deals.). Anyway, the article commented on Pontiac's "Glory Days," as Jim Wangers would describe them.
It's a shame Pontiac let things slip (like most) over the years.

However, I've noticed 66 & 67 GTOs showing up in the movies lately.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Remember its the New York Times . They just want to tear down anything American!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
We are experiancing "The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization" Eric

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO'n'TRANSAM View Post
Remember its the New York Times . They just want to tear down anything American!

The story should be about the rise and fall of the NY Times! You can buy a share of stock now, not that I would recommend it, for less than a copy of the Sunday Times!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO'n'TRANSAM View Post

Man ain't that the truth

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppster View Post
It's a shame Pontiac let things slip (like most) over the years.
Rick, it wasn't so much Pontiac allowing it to happen as Corporate restricting them. It was corporate that disallowed performance advertising and eventually took their engines away in favor of Chevrolet's in Pontiac cars to reduce cost. Jim Wangers and John DeLorean were very creative in the use of making the GTO and it's performance an option, thereby sidestepping the corporate decree for many years. The gas crisis and smog years didn't help much either.

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM

agreed corporate stupidity and goverment regulation. gm stopped making convertibles, dodge starts makeing them and comes out of bankruptcy. gm stops rear wheel drive cars and fords gets all the cop car and taxi business. gm develops the retro camaro years ago and ford makes the newest mustang and gm drops firebird camaro. now the goverment is trying to require the roof supports will survive a rollover like a roll cage. drivers should be road tested evry 5-7 years or sooner if they have more 3 accidents in that time frame.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
We are getting legislated out of our freedom at an alarming rate. It gets worse every year tenfold. Thank God I grew up when I did, when you could still make a CHOICE about how you wanted to live your life. I try not to think about it too much, it's just too damn depressing. I agree. The US should have drivers pass an evasive manuver and skid control test as part of getting a drivers license. Germany does, and they have excellent drivers. With anti-lock 4 wheel disc brakes, yaw control, traction control, skid control, cruise control, GPS, etc., it's NO WONDER many new drivers don't have a clue. I'm cut off and tailgated daily, by 20 year old women with their headlamps off in the dark eating a burger and talking on the phone, with a kid in the baby seat. It's a whole now world!!!! PS: my GTO's DON"T HAVE CUPHOLDERS! If you tried to drink a cup of coffee coing down the road, you'd be wearing it!!!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
This is only start of a new time. As a transportation design major, we had a seminar about energy and gasoline at a convention center. A couple of PHD's from UC David, UCLA, and a couple of other schools came out to speak. The Geology PHD's got the worst of us, depressed everyone after he calculated how much longer we had gasoline to fuel our cars.

This may be a little off topic but here is what I think. Without cars, horse carriages at the time were the best mode of transportation, and they had a major issue, horse crap all over the streets was making people sick. After the first car was planned out in the late 1800's, we welcomed the arrival of a horseless carriage. Once more and more vehicles were replacing horses on the streets, everyone was so happy to see no more horse droppings on the streets, but we got so caught up in this, no one noticed that we cannot see the very thing that was killing us coming from the cars. No matter what happens, do you really think we are going backwards, and dropping horses all over the streets again?? Hell no. We will be forced to come up with new idea's, and develop the ideas we have now into real life solutions. Engineers have been waiting desperately for a time like this to cash in on the next big idea, that will be revolutionized.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in