User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
posi

what does the term "true 12 bolt posi" mean?
thanks as always
Tk
ps if it turns out that my limited slip diff is afu, is it possible, perhaps with an arc welder to turn my LSD into a posi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Just a wild guess, here ---- but I'm taking a stab that the expression "true 12 bolt" is a reference to the larger/stronger GM axle that actually has 12 bolts securing the ring gear to the carrier inside. There is another rear axle, of the Oldsmobile persuasion, that has 12 bolts on the rear cover but internally only has 10 bolts on the ring gear - so in a manner of speaking it's not "a true 12 bolt" despite having a 12 bolt cover.

Posi, limited slip, safe-t-track, etc etc. all refer to an internal differential that's designed to power both rear wheels "most of the time" instead of just one, but you probably understood that already. "Posi-traction" is Chevy's brand name for limited slip, "Safe-T-Trac" is Pontiac's, "Sure Grip" is Chrysler, I think "Traction Lok" might be Ford's, but they all refer to the same thing - a limited slip rear.

So "posi" and "limited slip" are the same thing. The only thing you could do with a welder would be to weld the spider gears in the differential up solid, turning it into a "spool" --- a straight solid axle -- you wouldn't want that for the street.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Anyone know if Pontiac used different cases for the safe-t-track units? Chevrolet changed the ring gear mount position depending on the gear ratio, so there were "2" series, "3" series and "4" series cases. I have one with 4.55 gears and the ring gear looks very thick, making me think that Pontiac just changed the thickness of the ring gear instead of making three different cases.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
what does the term "true 12 bolt posi" mean?
thanks as always
Tk
ps if it turns out that my limited slip diff is afu, is it possible, perhaps with an arc welder to turn my LSD into a posi?
TopKat, Don't use the welder method....you will have problems in turns (big time).....EITHER: rebuild your 10 bolt pontiac rear, with a nice EATON or AUBURN carrier, and the gear ratio of your choice. OR: You could "upgrade" to a GM 12 bolt rear, which is stronger but may also need a rebuild......IF you want to spend $3000, you can buy a rear end, complete, and ready to install from a company like MOSER....... Eric

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckledragger View Post
Anyone know if Pontiac used different cases for the safe-t-track units? Chevrolet changed the ring gear mount position depending on the gear ratio, so there were "2" series, "3" series and "4" series cases. I have one with 4.55 gears and the ring gear looks very thick, making me think that Pontiac just changed the thickness of the ring gear instead of making three different cases.
Your on the right track, but it's not the case that's different but the carrier, what the ring gear mounts to. The thicker the ring gear the smaller diameter the pinion gear too. Your existing carrier will probably be able to use a gear ratio as high as a 3:55 or maybe a 3:91. I would consult Richmond gear or maybe Randy's Ring and Pinion with what you have to see if they have a gear that will fit your carrier.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Topkat, please, please, LISTEN to these guys. Stick an Eaton or Auburn unit and new bearings in yours and it'll outlast you. Talk to Rukee....he did his a few years back and it came out great. Knuckle: what the other guys said. The carrier is different between the 8.2 units. There is a 2 series that works with the 2.56-2.78 (really thin ring gear and massive pinion gear) a 3 series that works with 2.93--3.23, and a 4 series that works with 3.36 gears all the way to 4.33 gears (really thick ring gear and small pinion gear). Some folks shim out the ring gear to "make it work" when using the wrong gear set with the wrong carrier, but it's not a good solution. And, the carrier for thinner ring geared ratios would need to be machined to clear the ring gear...not really viable.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Your on the right track, but it's not the case that's different but the carrier, what the ring gear mounts to. The thicker the ring gear the smaller diameter the pinion gear too. Your existing carrier will probably be able to use a gear ratio as high as a 3:55 or maybe a 3:91. I would consult Richmond gear or maybe Randy's Ring and Pinion with what you have to see if they have a gear that will fit your carrier.
Thanks for the information. In the old days, the GM parts listings reversed the popular terms, calling the part that the ring gear bolted to the case and the outside housing was called the carrier.

Either way, I want to put 3.55s on a posi unit that currently has 4.55s, if I can.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Knuckle, I have never heard of 4.55's in an 8.2 10 bolt, but I haven't heard of everything. Since the 4 series carrier will handle 3.36, 3.55, 3.90, 4.11, and 4.33 gears, my bet is that it'll work with the 3.55's you want to put in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
According to the MPC, GM parts listings never reversed the popular terms, calling the part that the ring gear bolted to the case and the outside housing was called the carrier.

Pontiac never had a factory 4.55 setup.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM

4.55 seemed kinda steep to me, too. I got two rear ends in a deal, one with 3.55 open in a 1965 "case," one with 4.55 posi in a 1966 "case." So it seems as though the 3.55 will fit on the posi with out further issues. Just some parts juggling to put everything into the 1965 "case." We are having tire rubbing problems with the later diff in our 1965, I had never heard that the early (64-65) ones were narrower until I read it here. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in