Question about auto shippers? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question about auto shippers?

I have never had a car shipped before...I'm thinking about buying a 68 Lemans..I'm in Minnesota....the car is in Virginia. Can anyone give advice about auto shipping services. I have no idea who I would call, there is so many on the web. Please help, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had one shipped in '08, from Topeka Kansas, to North Louisiana. It cost me about $550. So, I figure it would cost you well over $1000.

Here are a few things I learned. MOST of the online guys are just brokers. They usually deal with lots of truckers, and give prices based on who will be in that area, who can make the haul. The broker gets part of the price, the trucker gets the rest.

When you put your haul up for bids, you will usually get lots of bids, with prices from reasonable to very unreasonable.

Some haulers are open, like they deliver new vehicles to the dealers with. But, for more $$, there are enclosed haulers.

I'm sure there are good reliable haulers, with good prices and some who are less than reliable, just like in any other type of business.

I think if I needed another haul, I'd try to find a guy with his own rig, and not go thru a broker. I'd try to get all the info I could about him, and try to talk to some of his past customers.

There is a guy who hauls, who posts over on the PY site. I'll try to find a link to post.

OK, here's the guy from the PY site. But, looks like he is out on the West coast right now. Don't know when he'll be back East. Hey, it might not hurt to contact him. He probably knows some other good haulers who may be in your area.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=hauler

http://www.car-transport-reviews.com/

http://www.bestautotransportcompanie...2KwaAuRG8P8HAQ

http://www.movecars.com/states/minnesota.htm

Here's just a couple of broker companies where you can get a quote. The names are similar, but have different phone numbers. Might be the same--don't know.

http://www.shipacardirect.com/car-sh...Y18aAoSA8P8HAQ

http://www.shipacarinc.com/

This co claims to be one of the largest privately owned shippers.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/broker-versus-carrier

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Hey, good luck ! Hope you get it delivered safe, quick, and cheap.

Last edited by oldskool; 12-14-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used reliable auto transport, to get my car across country. They were expensive (had an in at the auction I got my car at) but they were professional and arrived ahead of schedule.

If you are going to sign up with one of those online request forms/sites be prepared for dozens of calls/emails and some don't stop. I still get them in my spam folder.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinhs View Post
I used reliable auto transport, to get my car across country. They were expensive (had an in at the auction I got my car at) but they were professional and arrived ahead of schedule.

If you are going to sign up with one of those online request forms/sites be prepared for dozens of calls/emails and some don't stop. I still get them in my spam folder.
I used reliable to get my current GTO - there were first rate for sure!

1965 GTO Convertible, Hurst 4 Speed
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Can you link their website below...not sure which one it was when I was doing a search....sooooo many shipping sites.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300deluxe View Post
Can you link their website below...not sure which one it was when I was doing a search....sooooo many shipping sites.
GLAD too! It really was a great experience - a total contrast to a previous disaster with a '70 Trans Am.....

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:10 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I used TJ Transport, ask for John Davis 912-381-3997.

He will find you the best company for the job and at a decent price, if he can't do it on your schedule.

Just tell him you were referred to him.

He hooked me up with Montway Transport out of Chicago. Driver was already in Florida headed to Ohio. I had my car in three days.

Good luck and post some pics when/if you get her.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 PM

just be careful with someone cheap i thought i was saving money but after a couple scratches and couple dents and going around and around on it was already there... well you know the rest just be careful
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Also, when you buy a car...how do you pay for it. Do you send a check, money order, wire the money to the owner of the car first, then set up a shipping date. I suppose wiring the money to the owners bank is the best? Let me know, thanks, Troy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300deluxe View Post
Also, when you buy a car...how do you pay for it. Do you send a check, money order, wire the money to the owner of the car first, then set up a shipping date. I suppose wiring the money to the owners bank is the best? Let me know, thanks, Troy
This last GTO I financed (I used Woodside Credit and it could not have been easier), so I gave a deposit to the owner in check form and let the finance company send him the rest. Once the funds cleared I could pick up the car.

Other times I have used a bank check for the full amount, when that clears the persons bank i set up shipping then.

Bottom line is they need their money in full before you can arrange shipping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in