LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Questions from New Member

Hello!
There's a 64 Tripower 4 spd post coupe in my pole barn....just like the one I had at 16! Pinch me! She's a driver I can tinker with. First on the list: seat belts...new steering wheel, fix the 2.5 inch exhaust extending straight out past the rear bumper, and a touch of rear end lift.

Probably go with simple aftermarket lap belts, as for replacing the wheel with wood look one apparently no one makes a 4 spoke repro for 64. .so it will be close. Can't decide between splitters or stock extensions. The repro splitters for 2.5 inch dont look much like the original so I may just go to the stock extensions. Anyone have the splitters for 2.5" ? Finally opinion on drag bags or air shocks for the 64? Ease of install, durability?

Any & all advice is welcome.Thanks for sharing all your GTO knowlege.

Piedog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedog View Post
Hello!
There's a 64 Tripower 4 spd post coupe in my pole barn....just like the one I had at 16! Pinch me! She's a driver I can tinker with. First on the list: seat belts...new steering wheel, fix the 2.5 inch exhaust extending straight out past the rear bumper, and a touch of rear end lift.

Probably go with simple aftermarket lap belts, as for replacing the wheel with wood look one apparently no one makes a 4 spoke repro for 64. .so it will be close. Can't decide between splitters or stock extensions. The repro splitters for 2.5 inch dont look much like the original so I may just go to the stock extensions. Anyone have the splitters for 2.5" ? Finally opinion on drag bags or air shocks for the 64? Ease of install, durability?

Piedog
First of all welcome!

I'm a sucker for the splitters, and I'd go with the 2.5" splitters, even if they are exactly correct. In fact, I'm thinking real hard about the 2.5" splitters on my '67, even though I'll probably get a ticket from the originality police!

On the rear suspension, are you trying to get rake, or are you just trying to get it back to the original ride height? If you are just trying to fix sagging springs, I'd buy new springs. I'm not a huge fan of air shocks, and I've run the drag bags for racing, but after a while they all end up leaking down, requiring you to keep air in them (much like air shocks do).

BTW, without pics, I have my doubts that this car actually even exists!

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM

I found you a wheel, but um, its slighty pricey!

1964 PONTIAC GTO LE MANS GRAND PRIX WOOD STEERING WHEEL | Clinton | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 3827422

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Garage
OUch on the steering wheel, I'd go with a grant. Welcome and like 4sp said, need pics, love to see the car.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I installed Trans Am tips on mine about 25 years ago. I'm running 2.5" exhaust and Hedmann headers. Not "correct", but I get a lot of complements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTOS 007.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	16924  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the info. TA splitters look good. Pics are posted under 64 GTO Tinkering.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedog View Post
Hello!

Piedog
In my view, coil-over shocks are the best.

Go with three-point lap-and-shoulder belts from OPGI. In my 1967 GTO, the fastener plate for the shoulder belts is baked into the roof line near the rear windows. Not sure about a 1964 GTO.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Reproduction 1964 4 Spoke Steering Wheel Source

Hi all,

New Member here doing a little research for a friend with a 64. Has anyone on here ever dealt with this site?

Limited Handcrafted Wood Steering Wheel

He lists a reproduction 64 wheel for $850 with no core, but he is kind of difficult to deal with. Wants $450 upfront and the other $400 when the wheel is done, and does not like to talk on the phone.

His product certainly looks nice enough and is a great price as long as you get the product. The wheel is shown on this page.

Limited Handcrafted Wood Steering Wheel

Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in