Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Radiator

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  gtoearl 
#1 ·
Radiator, Hi guys. Need to make vice on a new radiator for my 1966 Pontiac GTO with the air conditioning. Must’ve picked up a rock or something it’s got a hole in the middle of the radiator and I don’t wanna try and get it fixed. Thanks for any suggestions

#3 ·
Northern radiator seems pretty expensive. Looked at Champion radiator. Seems more reasonable but I don’t like the top tank look. Looking for something that’s more stock in appearance. So far cool case is the only one. Would really appreciate some input from you guys. Thanks

#4 ·
You might find something by doing a Google search in the upper right hand corner. Other projects have had radiator suggestions.

My opinion is that you just pick one and go with it. The subject is like asking which oil is best. You can do a bigger web search and find pro's and con's on just about every radiator out there. Lot of personal opinions. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
About 2 years ago, I replaced the original radiator in my '71 GTO, with one from Cold Case. To my knowledge, nothing wrong with the original except it was old and I wanted a more modern one. Didn't want to take any chances. The Cold Case bolted right in and looks just like it belongs there. No problems thus far.
Should also mention that I bought an all welded, 2 row aluminum radiator, from Intercity Car Parts, in Ohio, for my '62 SS 409. It looks well constructed and bolted right in. I don't think it has a manufacturer's name on it. Probably an import from China. This radiator was almost half the price of others for what I think is pretty much the same thing. I think that is what got my attention. This radiator works perfectly. Keeps my 409 engine at 180-185 degrees all day long on a hot July day. I have no complaints about the Cold Case radiator. Certainly a well constructed radiator. To do over again, I think I would have looked at Intercity to see if they might have one for my GTO, Nicholas.

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here’s the update. Lol. It’s not the radiator. What I thought to be a hole was just a bunch of debris in the middle of the radiator. When I got it out it looks like just the fins were kind of banded up a little bit. I even took the radiator into a radiator shop and he submerged it in his tank and pump air into it and no bubbles. .. So, Why do I see a small amount of fluid on the bottom of the radiator after I start the car. Here’s two guesses. First one it might’ve been that the radiator cap was leaking or the overflow tube was leaking onto the bottom of the radiator. I have change the radiator cap and re-routed the overflow hose. As you all probably know I don’t have a recovery tank.... 66 GTO did not have one. The other one I think is a little more serious if true. It could be the water pump. I’m thinking the front seal might have a very small leak and on initial start up it throws some coolant out onto the fan and transfers to the radiator and dribbles down. What are your thoughts. Thanks again for everyone that has participated.

#14 ·
My vote is the radiator cap seal. I have had these go and you lose just enough so it evaporates and you can't find the leak, but you are losing water. The overflow hose if too short could probably spit some antifreeze out onto the lower radiator - which could also be an indication the radiator cap seal was gone and not holding pressure allowing antifreeze to get pushed out.

Don't think it would be the water pump splashing. The fan draws air through the radiator, not pushes it, so if you were getting splash back, I would think it would be an obvious leak.

So let it ride for now and see if the leak stops with the repairs you made and then go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.