LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Radiator

Ahhh!! I'm so pissed right now.

My new radiator arrived today. I had everything I needed to swap it in for the old one. Until... The farking transmission cooling lines would not unscrew from the old radiator.

I really don't want to take it to the shop for this problem, but I may not have a choice.

There are two choices listed in the Ames catalog and I have no idea which to order if I go ahead and just cut the old ones off. I dunno...

This was supposed to be an easy project... half an hour to an hour tops. Now... I'm just... grrrrr

EDIT:: I have a Turbo 400 transmission in it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Cut them , remove rad. from car , heat them and remove , add a trans cooler if needed .
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I've had this happen a lot of times. The flared end of the tube becomes one with the connector. The solution is to use a tubing cutter and cut the lines. You can then: get new lines, or: flare the old lines with new fittings attached,(if the lines are long enough), or: install barbed brass male fittings in the radiator and splice the lines in with a short length of rubber trans line and clamps. Any of these methods will work...the rubber hose splice is the easiest, and is a reliable fix.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My anal-ness would force me to get new lines where as any above suggestion is cheaper and will bet you back on the road sooner...!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Garage
I would try heating up the nut that screws into the rad and tap it and try to loosen it with a line wrench......JB.

1964 GTO Hardtop.
2009 R/T Classic
2008 Chevy LTZ

Retired and taking it easy!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have good news! The Liquid Wrench did it's thing and the lines came undone rather easily.

I still may need to get new lines though as I now have very minor fluid leaking from both connections into the radiator. It's like a drop every 5 minutes or so. I'm going to continue to drive it for now, though I will make sure to check my levels frequently.

Also, when I put fluid back into the transmission after the filter change, I did put in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Stop Leak. I'll see if that works it's magic and seals these up as well.

Lastly, I'm thinking about taking it to a local show tomorrow just for ****s and giggles.

EDIT:: Thank you all for your suggestions. I do appreciate the time you take to help out a stranger.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 PM

hey wonderin if someone could help with my overheating problem with my 66 gto? It has a fairly new radiator and i changed the thermostat and flushed it and added all new coolant. The next time i took it out it overheated after idling for about 12 minutes on a cool day about 66 degrees. Is it the fan clutch?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:: I ordered new upper and lower hoses as well as new transmission cooling lines. I checked the current hoses and they seem to be ok, but I just want new ones on the new radiator.

Wayne... Are you sure the new thermostat is working properly? Also, what motor do you have? Sometimes the lower hose can be sucked shut if it's worn out. That will restrict coolant flow as well.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Garage
Don't forget to put the spring back in the lower hose so it don't collapse.....JB.

1964 GTO Hardtop.
2009 R/T Classic
2008 Chevy LTZ

Retired and taking it easy!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry64 View Post
Don't forget to put the spring back in the lower hose so it don't collapse.....JB.
I ordered a new one of those too. It was only $5 so I figured why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in