User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
RAM AIR in `65??

That and the extensive list of dealer installed options makes me raise an eye to this one....and why is there bondo on the body data tag rivets?
eBay Motors: Pontiac : GTO (item 200195059889 end time Feb-14-08 14:06:25 PST)

Last edited by Rukee; 01-27-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
That and the extensive list of dealer installed options makes me raise an eye to this one....and why is there bondo on the body data tag rivets?
The window sticker he posted does not list a dealer, all stickers I've ordered from PHS also list the dealership information. Those forms can be purchased blank and filled in.

The rivets on the data plate are hollow and were plugged with seam sealer which was common. The rivets on the VIN tag are the correct "rosette rivets"

He has the wrong VIN number (23735) posted, the vin tag in the picture and the MSRP show the correct number (23737).

If anyone is interested I would suggest ordering a PHS packet and verify the information he posted. I don't believe ram air was a factory installed option in 65.

Randy

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't think the Kansas City Plant used the 5N code to denote the GTO package. Only two of the five plants did, one of which was the Pontiac plant. I have to agree with Rukee, that the putty does look odd and I've not seen too many other data plates with putty in the rivets. The seller did list the RA option as dealer, which is correct; as 05GTO said, it was not a factory option in 64 or 65 (or 66 I think). Didn't come out as a factory option until 67 if I'm not mistaken. Still, it is a nice piece of work that someone put a lot of time and money into. Whether it is all original is another matter. I dread the day GTOs fall under the same scrutiny as the NCRS Vette set, but I see it coming.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Rukee, if I remember Jim Wangers' book "Glory Days" correctly, I don't think Ram Air was an option until 1966 and was only a dealer-installed options at places like the Royal Pontiac dealership in Detroit. Sounds fishy to me if this guy is claiming that this was a factory-installed option. Regards.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Trim tags can be ordered with a title from places on the web, but the vins don't match as stated before in this thread. Body seam filler is the correct way to fill trim tags but that is a piss pour job on that one, what ever was used. Does GTO's have the vin stamped into the fire wall or some where on the body. I am 100% positive, that on 60's Camaro's, they stamp the vin under the heater box on the firewall along with trim tags and a vin plate. I looked my 66 over and nothing since it's still doesn't have the a/c heater box or fenders on, and nothing was stamped by the heater box.

Also that doesn't look like the right 4way switch for the windows it looks like the 70's one.
My 66 has rounded corners on the 4way switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in