Ram Air IV intake sensors - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ram Air IV intake sensors

This post goes out to all you Ram Air IV experts out there...
There are two tapped holes in the aluminum intake for water sensors on a Ram Air IV GTO. One I know is for the water temp gauge which is the one behind the alternator. It's the other one on the passenger side of the engine I want to inquire about. In pictures sometimes I see a electrical sensor with three wires going into it. I would think this could be a hot/cold light switch, however I do not see a hot/cold light on the GTO dash. Can someone please explain this? Also sometimes in place of the electrical switch explained above, there is a thermal vacuum switch which I believe is only on the RA IV automatic trans version. Am I correct here? I cannot seem to find any vacuum line routing for this TVS. Can anybody shed some light on the subject?

Last edited by Ram Air IV Judge; 09-09-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The car will have a temperature gauge OR a temp "idiot light", not both. Both the temp gauge sending unit or the temp light switch screw into the same spot on the intake water crossover - the one nearest the thermostat housing. The other hole is for the vacuum control, which I'm pretty sure was used on all cars regardless of transmission. It's primary purpose was to serve as an emissions device. It altered the behavior of the ignition vacuum advance mechanism based on engine temp.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Water sensors Ram Air IV

What you say makes sense, however this picture shows both holes with electrical sensors. The one on the driver's side is the sensor for the gauge. Now note the three wire sensor on the passenger's side. What does that do? That's no TVS. Owner claims car is PHS original. He has pictures of the gauge clusters and I see no hot/cold light. Those wires have to go somewhere. So it's back to square one on what is the proper set up for the Ram Air intake for manual transmission or automatic transmission? Does anybody know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970GT0RAIVGreen081_zpsdf01ea53.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	45418   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970GT0RAIVGreen080_zps235def1d.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	45426   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970GT0RAIVGreen012_zpsbdb60756.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	45434  

Last edited by Ram Air IV Judge; 09-09-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Water sensors Ram Air IV

I've been doing some research on this subject. Please tell me if I am wrong. Apparently the 1969 Ram Air IV has the TVS sensor. Where the 1970 Ram Air IV has the electric sensor connected to a vacuum solenoid mounted behind the carburetor to one of its studs. This would perform the same function as the 1969 only it's electric. Vacuum lines for the 1969 are still not resolved. I would think one of the 3 lines going to the TVS has to be manifold vacuum. A second would have to be going to the distributor and the third is not clear where it would go. Perhaps it may go to the transmission if the car has AT. Now with the 1970 RA4 there are 3 wires going to the sensor. One has to be +12, the second has to be going to the vacuum solenoid and the third may be an internal ground and routed to the solenoid. I would need a sensor to test to prove this. Perhaps you guys who have one on the car could check. Just unplug the sensor and with your meter on ohms measure the resistance to ground on each terminal. If one terminal reads 0 ohms then it is internally grounded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in