Rear Main Seal still leaking - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear Main Seal still leaking

Hello to everyone. It has been quite a while since I have been on the Forum. Soon I will be removing my Engine for the third time since I got my 65 GTO back together after restoring it. Some of you have given me great advice and information I needed while I was restoring the car. My car turned out great and I am very happy with it. What is still haunting me is the Rear Main Seal. When I bought the car, the 70 455 HO that was in the car had very minimal miles on it since it was rebuilt but did have a lot of time on it as the car had been garaged for a long time. Anyway the previous owner told me that the Rear Main Seal leaked pretty bad and I should replace it. Since I was restoring the car anyway I had already decided that the Engine was coming out and I would re gasket and reseal everything since it had been sitting for quite some time. Long story short I replaced the Rear Main Seal with the Rope Style that came with Felpro Gasket Kit. It leaked terrible. Took engine back out and asked questions on the Forum. Most folks recommended the BOP Viton Seal. Purchased the BOP seal and installed it to the letter by instructions. Put Engine back in and the seal leaked worse than the Rope Seal. Took Engine back out, asked more questions and the Graph Tite Seal from Best Gasket Co. was recommended. Purchased the Graph Tite Seal and installed exactly per instructions. Put Engine back in and it started leaking after only a few minutes. It leaks enough where I leave a trail of oil drops coming from the vent hole in the Converter Cover and the Rear Bumper gets an oil film on it whenever I drive the car. Has anything changed with technology of lately or does anyone have any other advice for me on how to get this corrected. I was going to get a machinist to thoroughly examine the Crank and Rear Main Cap this time prior to seal number four. Could it be the fourth time is a charm??
Any advice appreciated
Timmy G.

Last edited by timmyg; 12-18-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: removed item
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Timmy G., I am sorry I don't have any advice (nor enough knowledge or experience to offer any) but,

I intend to watch this thread clsoely as my wife's '66 GTO is leaking pretty badly from the main seal also and it is the original (never removed or anything) engine. With just 30,000 miles on it . . .

The only thing that eclipses my heart aching as I read your saga is my confidence the members of this forum will help you with what you need!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Stupid questions here but .....

Did you carefully examine the metal areas for dings in the areas, protrusions, or any other issue that may cause the seals not to properly seat? Are the mating areas ok not warped? Did you use the right sealing compounds and let it sit for 24 hours or so before finishing up the job? When reassembling did you somehow unknowingly disturb the gasket?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Give Jim at Central Virginia Machine a call. Something's not right for you to have had this many problems with all the different seals.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Mine sat for thirty years after the rebuild. When I got it, and did the usual fixes to get it drive able, it leaked. Pulled the pan, then the motor and found that the crank had a bit of corrosion at the seals where it sat for years. I guess moisture finds a way to get in there. Took the crank and polished it and back together. So far so good. If your crank has ANY spots on it, it will corrode and work on your seal and you will have leaks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 PM

Here is something that might work for you. What it does is it makes hard seals soft again and that is usually what causes seals to leak. A friend of mine used it on a leaking manual transmission he had and it worked. I know your seal is not old but I would try it. Good Luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
What Bear says. Something is not right. The big journal engines like yours are more likely to have rear main issues due to alignment and casting issues at the rear main cap. Also, if the engine has been align honed or bored, that can cause out-of-true problems. The Best Gasket Graphtite seal is the most recommended for your application. If this type of seal is installed too tightly, the crank will grab it and burn it up, however. Some cranks need to be polished where the crosshatch section is to avoid tearing up seals. I've installed all but the Graph-tite and have had 100% success (4 engines so far) but these were small journal engines, and the rope seal I used in my 389 over 30 years ago (and still leak free) was an old style asbestos seal which has been out of production since the mid '80's. The 3 BOP Viton seals have been leak free on two 400's and another 389 for thousands of miles and several years now. I feel for you...this is not a fun job, especially on a restored car. Have the crank checked out, and if you can, the alignment of the mains.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Have any of you guys tried this stuff AT 205? It is supposed to soften of leaking seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT 205.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	31306  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:16 PM

I think you need to pull the crank examine it of course , and set the seal in the journal the way it was meant to be. The problem your probably having is when your pulling the seal thru the upper journal, your stretching in out by the time it goes thru it's to thin to seal the upper part of the crank. You can pull seals thru small block and big block Chevys all day long. But not a pontiac.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Crank was pulled each time

I have pulled the Crank each time and installed the seal with crank out. I have never put the seals in with the crank still in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in