Rear seats and roll cages - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear seats and roll cages

Interested in any feedback on rear seats and roll cages. Specifically, I have a RideTech cage with the bar for the front harnesses. Trying to figure out what, if anything, to do with the rear seats that would be safe. Also, due to stupidity, I burned up the rear vertical portion of my seat and would need to replace it, suggestions on best place would be appreciated. I do not need a stock or vintage replacement, just a working seat (black).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
Interested in any feedback on rear seats and roll cages. Specifically, I have a RideTech cage with the bar for the front harnesses. Trying to figure out what, if anything, to do with the rear seats that would be safe. Also, due to stupidity, I burned up the rear vertical portion of my seat and would need to replace it, suggestions on best place would be appreciated. I do not need a stock or vintage replacement, just a working seat (black).

Thanks.
RideTech is supposed to be a bolt in installation that works with your rear seat, so I don't under stand your question?

Are you wanting to use the back seat? Get it recovered if you burned it up and want to save it.

If not wanting to use the seat, you have options, but don't know if this is what you're asking.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for the confusion. My concern is around the horizontal bar that is right behind the front seats. In a collision, I am concerned that any back seat passengers would have this basically "in their face".

For the piece I burned up, the spring/frame has some rust damage and I'm not sure it can be successfully recovered. That is something I can look into, but didn't want to go down that route if any back seat passengers prove to be dangerous.

Will see if I can snag a picture of the bar so that this makes sense.

Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
I would suppose if your rear seat passengers don't have a 5 point safety belt 0r shoulder/lap belt as a minimum, they are going to smack the bar in a frontal car totaling accident. Suppose your head will most likely take out the steering wheel and your passenger lose some teeth in the metal dash as well -if not worse. But if you get hit from the side real hard, I think your rear passengers will crack their heads on the roll bar that runs along side of them, and the doors will cave in injuring the driver/passenger -depending on what side you get hit real hard on. If a rear end shot hits that hard, everyone gets whiplash, providing your gas tank is not ruptured and catches fire -or explodes. Oh, and then there is shattering glass. Older cars are not as safe as todays cars with all the built in crash protection and crumple zones. I would not put anything in front of my passengers that would injure them anymore than they are most likely going to get injured without the roll bar in front of them. Not being a smart butt, but there are many scenarios you can come up with in a major impact.

The roll bar can certainly help to a point, but a correctly installed 12 point system is what you want if your worried about survival, but you won't be putting passengers in the rear. Proper should belts and lap belt combo for all passengers would be a plus and would most likely prevent your rear passengers from launching too far forward to make contact with the bar. Pad all the bars with a roll bar covering. This is what I would do as a minimum if I was worried about my passengers in the back seat.

If you are not too concerned about originality, why not go custom with two bucket seats to match the front? Then you can use the shoulder/lap belts for each passenger.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I forget the name of the place, but it's like the first right corner after hwy51 on east wash going towards east town. You go back there a few blocks, across the tracks and there is a mini storage place on the right and there is a upholstery place that fixed what looked like a hole from someone had a screw driver in their back pocket in my back seat. He was very reasonable too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in