Rebuilt issue - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rebuilt issue

Ok, just need a couple opinions on this issue.

I had a couple items rebuilt from a member here that I was refered to, I believe he still is a member as well. This was done damn near 2 years ago, I had issues with one of the items and he sent a replacement. Still had issues but not as bad but still issues. Car wasn't fun to drive at all, but I delt with it thinking it was something that could easily be fixed, just needed time and someone that knew more about it than I did.

With deployments and family couldn't get to it, but recently came into some money so I found a very reputable shop that works classic muscle. They got into the item that was rebuilt and found JB weld inside, where it shouldn't be along with other issues. So bad that they are looking for a replacement for it, as it doesn't appear to be able to be correctly rebuilt.

Now I'm not calling the member out but wanted opinions on if its been to long to inform him of the findings.

X

Last edited by xconcepts; 09-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
dont know what part you had rebuilt , dont want to know who rebuilt it. but i will tell you, i spent 12 years of my life working in a local auto parts store/ machine shop as a top counterman light machine work guy. i remember a couple of times i had ordered a rebuilt quadrajet carb. for a customer from a major reputable automotive rebuilder where the core had stripped threads at the fuel inlet ( for fuel filter which is common). the rebuilder used some type of (j b weld ) to repair the threads and make it a usable core. needless to say, my customer was not happy. i had to order another carb. for him. that major rebuider is still in buisiness today and supplies rebuilt parts to a company that alot of us purchase gto parts from. rickm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Member or Vendor? Either way you could save someone else the time, $$$, and hassle by identifying them. Or go through a moderator to handle it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mods have got the info, I know others haven't had issues with him. So not sure to call him out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
It sounds like it's a carburetor. Common to use JB weld on the well plug area, and I have seen it in the inlet area to 'fix' rotten threads. What you should have done, IMO, is have it taken care of immediately. You've waited too long at this point. I am personally involved in a similar situation: a custom patio that cracked immediately, and is continuing to come apart. I am not paying the contractor until it's resolved....he's hoping I will go away, but I'm not wired that way. I don't think calling the guy out in your case is prudent....contact him and give him a chance to make it right, even though it's been a while. Hard to "unsay" damaging stuff!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
It sounds like it's a carburetor. Common to use JB weld on the well plug area, and I have seen it in the inlet area to 'fix' rotten threads. What you should have done, IMO, is have it taken care of immediately. You've waited too long at this point. I am personally involved in a similar situation: a custom patio that cracked immediately, and is continuing to come apart. I am not paying the contractor until it's resolved....he's hoping I will go away, but I'm not wired that way. I don't think calling the guy out in your case is prudent....contact him and give him a chance to make it right, even though it's been a while. Hard to "unsay" damaging stuff!!
It is and thats exactly where the JB weld is. Problem is that once I got them rebuilt I deployed 2 months later and was gone for 8-9 months with training. Then got back in late August and end of Fiscal Year blows for my job, another 2 months gone. Grant it I have been working on it since last November, but I don't know **** about carbs and spoke with him a few times to see what to do. Also had a friend that built his Chevy from the ground up look at them...still no luck. So finally had the money to get into a shop.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It's a very common fix for leaky QJet well plugs to seal them with epoxy, it's even the recommended fix (read the Cliff Ruggles book on QJets and you'll find that out) --- so don't think that you've been misled/cheated just because of that.
If it was used as a thread repair, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's holding up ok. If the carb body is a 'rare' one such as a 455 SD body, then its worth doing whatever it takes to "save" it. It's hard to have much of an opinion without more detail on the situation.

Ifn' it wuz me I'd just ask the question of the guy in a non-accusatory manner - something like, "Did you know this was in there? Do you remember why?" and see where it goes.

Also, don't assume a shop necessarily knows their way around a QJet - a lot of them don't.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in