• 1 Post By Bredfan
  • 1 Post By Shake-N-Bake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Replacing car stereo

Any suggestions on best aftermarket car stereo for my 69Custom S Convertible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Best is a tough one - I guess I will start with the obligatory statement about it depending on what you want. :-)

That aside...

In my 68 I have a Retrosound II. It looks great and has Bluetooth, so I don't even fuss with the actual radio. I have a pretty standard setup with a dual cone stereo speaker in the center front dash and two 6x9's in the back. The sound is what you would expect from a system with limited power (I think like 25w x 4) and a straight shot from head unit to speakers.

It plays my music when cruising and it looks the part.

Retrosound has some newer models that look really cool. Mine is a few years old but I can comfortably recommend them for your head unit.

But you asked about "best." Well, that opens a whole can of worms. For me, keeping the vintage look is pretty important, though I'm not a purest. So - again for me - if I were to go "best" I would probably add a nice multi channel power amp to run upgraded 6x9's and probably add a sub somewhere - probably build or buy a box and mount in the trunk. Probably add a passive EQ in the glove box to dial in the new power. And also find a way to upgrade the front - that single dual cone provides some fade/balance but is just too small and weak to make any real sound. Either a much higher quality speaker, or perhaps larger, I'd hate to start cutting up kick panels but might if I had to. I think there might be room for 6.5" speakers there, if not a 5 1/4. And running off a good amp, that'd probably be good. This is kind of an old school setup, but what I would do to improve on what I have.

One thing that maybe the convertible guys can chime in on - I don't know what the limitations are with the rear deck and trunk. I'm sure it's different ...may want to get some good advice from convertible-specific installs on custom stereo solutions...

You can go nuts on custom boxes, power amps, etc. It all depends on what you want.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpalamara View Post
Any suggestions on best aftermarket car stereo for my 69Custom S Convertible?
I have been disappointed with the classic looking radios that I have tried so far. They look period correct but they are expensive and really don't sound very good. On my most recent builds, I ended up installing the original AM radio and get it to function as normal. I then have a portable Bluetooth speaker that I place on the back seat or some other convenient spot and stream music from a mobile device. Sounds great and can be easily moved from car to car if needed. Less expensive then many of the retro systems as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
1968gto421 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in