User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rocker arm torquing sequence

Can someone tell me the correct sequence for torqueing my rocker arms? I know 20 ft/lbs but I know there is some sequence.
thanks (super thanks) as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Topkat, I found this writeup and I think if you follow it you will be golden.

Pontiac Rocker Arm Adjustment
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

thank you Alky

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 PM

That article is a good idea but it also matters if you are just putting the engine together or if its already together. If the engine is just going together the very best way to adjust the rockers is with the valley cover off you can see the cam. With the cover off you can see the cam as you turn the engine over. That way when you have the lifter your adjusting , you can see it on the base circle. With the Poly-loc backed off a bit you can turn the push rod in your fingers, when the push rod has a little drag on it so when it turns with a bit of pressure thats where you stop. Hold the nut part of the poly-loc with the wrench & tighten up the allen nut on top of the nut. By the way you have to use a set of poly-locs to do this. Now with the allen screw almost tight, turn the nut part of the P/L 1/2 turn. Then tighten the allen screw all the way. Use your wrench to snug the nut down just a bit more maybe another 1/8 of a turn so the nut is tight. Then go to the next lifter & then the next until all are done that way, then your done. Put the valley cover on & your lifters are all adjusted & ready to start the engine up to break it in. Aslo before I forget make sure that when you install the lifters in place & the push rods & rockers all have a good mollie lube on all the surfaces so you won't be starting it up dry.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The instructions on the PSP site are great as long as you've got a stock, or near stock cam and valve train. If you've got a cam with longer duration, the safest way to make sure you've got each lifter on the base circle of the cam requires you to make two complete revolutions of the crank. Remove both rocker covers, take a big wrench and socket on the crank snout bolt and turn it over by hand until you see the exhaust valve on #1 cylinder just beginning to open. Adjust #1 INTAKE valve. Turn the crank untill you see #8 exhaust just starting to open - adjust #8 INTAKE... and so on, one at a time in firing order sequence until you have adjusted all 8 intake valves. You are now half way done. Turn the crank until you see #1 intake open fully and just beginning to CLOSE. Adjust #1 EXHAUST valve. ... repeat in firing order sequence until you've done all 8 exhaust valves.

Easy peasy.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Garage
Bears instructions are also as I was advised from Butler Performance and are listed on their tech page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in