LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Rod Serling is in my trunk

Hi all,

I have a 69 vert and I have been working on all the big issues for the past couple of years. Now I am starting to focus on the little things. I noticed my car was ordered with the light group, but I never saw a wire from the trunk lid. I found it tucked inside the bracing. So, I have a orange wire with a connector from the harness to the taillights. The wire I pulled from the trunk lid is blue and has a white connector that plugs into the orange wire.

Here is where it gets weird. I have 12v constant power at the orange wire. When I plug in the blue wire, I have power to the other end by the light bulb holder. Removing the bulb, I have power at the receptacle, and I can tilt the receptacle emulating the closure of the trunk lid and when closed, I have no power. Tilt the bulb holder up and I have 12v. So that tells me the mercury switch works. But, I cannot get the bulb to light. I even attached the bulb holder to the trunk lid to ensure it was properly grounded.

I don't get it. Power all the way to the socket, but the bulb won't light. It has to be something simple that I am not getting.

Thanks,
Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Try running a temporary wire from the socket to a known good ground. If the light works, then you know that you don't have a good ground at the trunk lid.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it is the correct and/or a functional bulb?

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it is the correct and/or a functional bulb?
No worries Junior. With all the crap available to us, that is not a ridiculous question

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Genius! You know the other night, I thought of this and thought I should run a wire from the socket to the trunk latch, but it was late, I was tired and then I just forgot. Your comment reminded me of that so tonight I tried it and viola! It works. I guess there is too much paint between the socket mount and the trunk metal.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in