Roller Tip Rockers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Roller Tip Rockers

The 455 engine in the 65 that I recently purchased has a Solid Lift Cam with Regular Rocker Arms. I am in the process of going through the engine just to check things out as the engine has very low miles since it was rebuilt but the car has been sitting in garage for about twenty years. I am replacing Rear Main Seal as it was leaking pretty bad, and other seals and gaskets. My question is since Roller Tip Rocker Arms were not really well known or popular when the engine was originally rebuilt but are now, would It be an enhancement to the engine if I were to install Roller Rocker Arms with the Solid Lift Cam. Also, would using Roller Rockers decrease the amount of chatter that you get with Factory Rockers and a Solid Lift Cam Combination. If I were to install the Roller Rockers, would any of the other valve train components need changing. Would I still use the same clearances when adjusting the valves with the Feeler Gauge. I have never had anything with Roller Rockers. Is there a Particular Brand or part number anyone recommends? I need some guidance. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, use the same lash clearance - no, they won't make the valve train any quieter. The sound comes from the tips of the rockers hitting the valves as they take up the lash clearance, and that won't change with rollers. The advantage of roller rockers, especially those with needle bearing pivots in addition to the roller tip, is reduced friction in the valve train. The less energy you burn up in frictional losses, the more energy you get to put to use doing useful things like making the tires go 'round and 'round

I personally am running Scorpion aluminum full roller rockers in my 461. They're 100% US made and so far, I like them a lot.

You wouldn't necessarily have to change any other components, but it'd be a good idea to 1) re-measure your valve train geometry with the new lifters to make sure the tips contact the valve stems in the right place and 2) you might also consider replacing the pushrods since the ones you have will have established a mated wear pattern to their respective lifters, a process they'll have to re-do with new rockers.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in