User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
nas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
running hot

My '67 gto 400ci (rebuilt 8k miles ago w/roller cam etc etc) wants to run near 230+ degrees. I've tried a new shroud, a 7 blade fan, then an electric fan so I guess my next step is a better radiator (still running stock radiator). Can anyone recommend a great radiator? I'm told a 4 core aluminum is best but I'm not sure what aluminum does that others (ie copper) don't. My goal is to drive it on the freeway in the heat of Tennessee during the summer and not have to stare at my temp gauge. Any help/advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
did they close up the clearance on the water pump divider plate when i was re-built?, i would do that before a new radiator, look on Youtube for Pontiac water pump clearance.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
nas

Correct, in fact I've added a new water pump since the rebuild. It ran hot prior to rebuild but at the time I only had a temp light. I had the cluster redone to include a temp gauge at the same time. Ignorance was bliss.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
The temp light on a '67 is set to come on at 230, so you were running cooler thatn that before if the sending unit was correctly calibrated. At 230, you should be puking coolant at shut down and generally showing the beginning signs of overheating. Is it really overheating? Verify with a pyrometer. If the water pump plate clearance has been set, and all else is in order, and it is hot on the highway (fan or shroud wouldn't help here) then yes, you need more radiator. I got the correct temp sender for my rally gauge equipped '65 from Lectric Limited, and the car now runs 180-195, when it used to run an indicated 210-215. So, sometimes it's the sender. My '67 has the idiot light, and it's come on once, twenty years ago when I lost a water pump and was low on coolant. Other than that, it IS the coolest running goat ever. Ignorance CAN be bliss. In the '65, I stare at the temp gauge and oil pressure gauges (because it has them) and with the '67 (idiot lights), I just admire how cool the hood scoop looks and the open road ahead of me!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
nas

That's funny. I am going to check it again w/a thermo gun. I'll be back in touch, thank you both for the good advice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
, gauges are not to be trusted unless verified...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in