Searching for "Street is Neat" - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Searching for "Street is Neat"

I am looking for a 1968 GTO that used to be owned by my father in the '70s and '80s. I do not know the VIN #. The only documentation that I have seen on the car is a ticket that my dad has in a scrapbook from doing a burnout in the Holland State Park.

My dad owned the car while he was in Holland, MI and Chicago. It was black with flames, had a Bunky's Speed Shop gold leaf mural on the trunk with the words "Street is Neat", and had 2 carter afb carbs sticking out of the hood. The car was run at Byron Dragway.

The car was sold in Holland, MI in the late '70s or early '80s.

I will try to get some more info from my dad and a picture next time I go home.

I know this is a bit of a longshot but let's see where it goes.

Last edited by ScarabGT; 09-12-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Update:

My sister got an Illinois license plate number off the car from a picture, and a date, 1979, from a ticket.

So with that info I should be able to find some record of the car, assuming that the records still exist.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to obtain the records with the info that was found let me know.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM

1979 is a long time ago BUT...you may be able to contact the Illinois Secretary of State's office...they might be able to check the license (from their archives) and get the VIN...with the VIN they may be able to tell you if the car is still in Illinois or if it is still registered somewhere...this would point to it still being a running vehicle...I would bet they would charge for this service if they could even do it but it might be a start...good luck,

Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
1979 is a long time ago BUT...you may be able to contact the Illinois Secretary of State's office...they might be able to check the license (from their archives) and get the VIN...with the VIN they may be able to tell you if the car is still in Illinois or if it is still registered somewhere...this would point to it still being a running vehicle...I would bet they would charge for this service if they could even do it but it might be a start...good luck,

Bill
Thanks Bill! I did just that earlier this morning. There is a vehicle history request that can be filled out, and yes there is a fee. If this gets me the VIN then I will have to do this same search in Michigan since the goat was sold there by my dad.

This may take a while.
Bobby
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 PM

odds against

Bobby, I hate to say this but the odds are very much against this car being around today. So many were wrapped around telephone poles by lead footed kids, crushed for their scrap weight, left to rust away, etc. I hope you find it but i doubt you ever will. Good luck in your long long search.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM

If you have the VIN and know someone in law enforcement that owes you a favor, the car can be traced to the current owner or it's demise in seconds.

This past spring, the owner from '73 to '85 tracked down his '57 Chevy that I owned this way. Needless to say, I did the right thing and sold it back to him but at a ridiculous price.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Deuces View Post
If you have the VIN and know someone in law enforcement that owes you a favor, the car can be traced to the current owner or it's demise in seconds.

This past spring, the owner from '73 to '85 tracked down his '57 Chevy that I owned this way. Needless to say, I did the right thing and sold it back to him but at a ridiculous price.
I'm about to send off for a registration search. Hopefully that will get me a VIN. I may need you to send me the name of the guy who bought your '57 and get him to talk his friend into doing a VIN search for me
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 PM

If you get the VIN I'll see what I can do to hook you up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Deuces View Post
If you get the VIN I'll see what I can do to hook you up.
Thanks! I'm going to send off the search form this weekend. It may be a few months before I get the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in