She's a Different Animal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
She's a Different Animal

I changed the intake on my '67, yesterday. I took off an Edelbrock Torker and replaced it with the factory correct '67 manifold. What a difference! It ran okay before, but it never felt like I remembered old GTOs to run. It's like a completely different motor. All the torque that I remembered these things to have, is back.

I can't figure out why the previous owner ran a Torquer on the street. I gotta hand to the GM engineers, they knew what they were doing. I can't keep from grinning when I drive it!

Cheers all!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Last edited by chuckha62; 03-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
the stock manifold will give you a lot more tq. at lower rpms....good move!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
I changed the intake on my '67, yesterday. I took off an Edelbrock Torker and replaced it with the factory correct '67 manifold. What a difference! It ran okay before, but it never felt like I remembered old GTOs to run. It's like a completely different motor. All the torque that I remembered these things to have, is back.

I can't figure out why the previous owner ran a Torquer on the street. I gotta hand to the GM engineers, they knew what they were doing. I can't keep from grinning when I drive it!

Cheers all!

Chuck
If there ever was a manifold that was mis-named, the Torker for Pontiacs has to be it. It's a decent manifold for the upper rpm ranges, but the factory iron intake will eat it alive at low rpm. When I dyno'ed my 461 I did a back-to-back comparison between the factory intake and a Torker I. As you can see from the results, the T1 hangs on longer in the upper RPM ranges, but it gives up ground down low.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I agree bear. I always thought the Torker and Performer were misnamed, visa verca.. Single planes kill torque and make more high end HP. Everyone wants the tall single planes for the race look, but if your not turning R's it's a waste everytime. Small runners equal velocity and throttle response, big runners are for higher R's.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 PM

back in the 80's most guys over cam'ed, over carb'ed, and put way way to big of intakes on there cars. I guess because it was cool. I run an old holley cast iron aftermarket intake on the 427 with a 750 vac sec carb, they are smaller then needed but it doesn't leak and has great drivability even with 13:1 compression.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
If there ever was a manifold that was mis-named, the Torker for Pontiacs has to be it. It's a decent manifold for the upper rpm ranges, but the factory iron intake will eat it alive at low rpm. When I dyno'ed my 461 I did a back-to-back comparison between the factory intake and a Torker I. As you can see from the results, the T1 hangs on longer in the upper RPM ranges, but it gives up ground down low.

Bear
Great info, Bear. Thanks!

I'm really pleased with the low end throttle response. It's exactly what I thought was going to happen.

The next step is to go through the Quadrajet (also date code correct) that I picked up with the manifold. I'm currently using the one that came with the car, which is a mid 70's unit. I went through it awhile back and it runs great, so I have time to rebuild the right one and really dial it in.

I'm diggin all the little things that I get to do on this thing. Every little thing makes me appreciate it more!

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Congrats, Chuck. Q-jets work great on '67's. Excellent economy if you keep your foot out of it, but a heck of a wallop when those gigantic secondaries kick in. Back in the late '70's, a lot of pimple faced Camaro owners were surprised when they tried to compet with my buddy's rock stock,full wheel covers with whitewalls, AC equipped, loaded, 2.93 geared '67 GTO.....I remember one second generation Camaro running neck and neck with the GTO at about 80mph, and the guy's girlfriend was waving goodbye to the GTO.....until my buddy kicked open the secondaries and it shifted down into passing gear and was GONE. The GTO was able to match the Camaro running on just the PRIMARIES. When the secondaries opened, the goat was in another county. Great stuff!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 AM

If I'm looking to buy a factory intake and Q-jet for a '67, beyond ID#'s and correctish dates, what problems flaws should I be looking for? Were they prone to cracking? Do they warped?

Rumble Rumble Rumble
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT1379 View Post
If I'm looking to buy a factory intake and Q-jet for a '67, beyond ID#'s and correctish dates, what problems flaws should I be looking for? Were they prone to cracking? Do they warped?
Look for cracks in the divider between the left and right sides. If possible have itmagnafluxed before you buy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in