Shift cable question...66 GTO...t400Trany - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Shift cable question...66 GTO...t400Trany

Well I think I have most of the parts I need to complete my re-installation of my console and shifter........in my 66GTO...As some of you may remember from my other comments on other threads, I have taken a his and hers shifter out and now have a reconditioned 66 type shifter with a ShiftWorks conversion kit installed to accommodate my t-400 trany 3 speed......Well I got everything in and discovered that the shift cable shield has pulled away from the crimped housing on the end of the cable where it attaches to the shifter frame.......hope that makes sense....... Question is, can it be repaired or should I just bit it and buy a new cable? Shiftworks wants $97.75 for a GM replacement or 62.50 for their reproduction..........They say on their site that they don't recommend buying a reproduction from somewhere else. They say "all reproductions are not the same". I saw one on EBAY for $48.....Do you think I'm safe in buying the Ebay one? I know its not much difference from the 62.50..........but I'm getting nickel and dimed to death lately..........thanks again to all you guys and your knowledge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For $14.50 difference, I'd go with Shiftworks. They will stand behind your purchase.

Just mt two cents.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting.....

Last Spring while in a parade I noticed my car not wanting to go in Park it would lunge forward and buck back and forth. When shifting in Park the car would roll. Followed the shift cable to the transmission and noticed the cable plastic sheath pulled away from the crimped part. By following the adjustments in the service manual me and a friend adjusted the cable at the transmission. He forced the sheath back into the crimped part but it kept coming out but by adjusting the cable the car has shifted fine since. I did in the meantime purchase a new cable not a repo for if I recall 79? I have it in a box and will install once the problem resurfaces.

I had heard also don't by repo as it may not properly mate up. I didn't want to chance it and got one from Ames.

I guess my answer is... for me anyway the cable is working fine even though the cable is not properly crimped at the transmission.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.........I think I will purchase a new one from Shiftworks as they do guarantee their reproduction cable to work with their conversion kits.......As far as the old cable and its current issues...I will go underneath the car and detach it from the trany and adjust it to see if that will work......I'm interested if it will work as my cable sheath is out at the shifter end and not at the transmission end.........don't know if that would make a difference.........when I go to shift, the cable just bends and doesn't move the inter cable, unless I hold the sheath into the crimped end and then it will shift...........I'm wondering if I follow the same processes as you did GTO JUDGE, if it might work........I asked a good friend about this issue. He has owned a auto machine shop for 30 + years and build my engine.........he says that I should just replace the cable. He has temporarily fixed some cables over the years with a hose clamp that held the sheath into the crimped end..............but he says you will eventually be going down the road and may want to shift and all of a sudden you will find yourself in a gear you don't wan to be in.......such as REVERSE............
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I sat in the seat and placed the shifter all the way front in P as far as it would go my buddy was under the car adjusting it. A few adjustments and it's been working (8 mos ago). My situation is and this was like this before the cable needed adjusted: When in Drive the shifter is not all the way in D its not dead center its off just a bit we tried to get it so it would align precisely but couldn't. We got it close. If the cable gets funky again, I have one to install, until then it's working fine. I didn't have the replacement cable when the cable needed adjusted, if I had I would have just put it on.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I'll give it a try.....thanks.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in