Shipping Advise - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shipping Advise

Help. Just bought my 67 GTO and trying to ship from PA to NC. Cannot believe the number of come ons and just outright ripoff artists there are out there. Are there any reputable, inexpensive shippers you would recommend?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
PA to NC? Drive it back. Not a very long distance, IMO.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM

If it doesn't drive you can rent a trailer for less than a hundred bucks. If you decide to use a shipper, get some comfort that they are reliable. Damage happens and parts get stolen and nobody knows anything about it. Or, offer to pay the seller to bring it to you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

I pulled my 68 gto with a rental uhal trailer.

U-Haul: Auto Transport Rental

It cost me $89 (+75 deposit) plus gas. perhaps you have a 1500 truck or a friend with one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130907_001.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	29321  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Have a buddy drive you up and follow you back as you drive your new ride. Take some tools, jack, spare tire, gas can, etc.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbum13 View Post
Help. Just bought my 67 GTO and trying to ship from PA to NC. Cannot believe the number of come ons and just outright ripoff artists there are out there. Are there any reputable, inexpensive shippers you would recommend?
Thanks
OP, you get what you pay for. Save a buck now and you'll pay later. Verify whomever you get to ship your car is licenced and insured and even ask for references. I would look around at places that have actual customer reviews like this-

http://www.transportreviews.com/comp...g-carriers.asp
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM

I learned about shippers this past summer. I had bought a SVO Mustang from a person on Long Island. I did not want to have to drive through NYC with a trailer so I called the same company that the PO had used when he bought the car. I also Googled auto transport and there were a ton of listings offering quotes. I sent for three or four to compare.

As it turned out all the companies including the one the PO had used were not the actual shippers, they were brokers. The brokers post the trip they are looking for on a couple of web sites and the actual truckers/trucking companies bid on the job. Just like on that show "shipping wars" I suppose. So the low bidder to the broker gets the job if you agree. Then you send a "deposit" by CC and the balance is due the trucker on delivery. The deposit is the fee the broker gets and the balance is what the trucker gets.

The whole thing is kind of scary when you think about not really knowing just who is transporting your car.

In my case the actual trucker was from nearby where I live and was very good to deal with, he had a F350 with a gooseneck trailer that held three cars. he called me twice the day of delivery and even once to tell me he would be 20 minutes later than planned.

He gave me his number and told me to call direct next time and cut out the broker, which is exactly what I did the other day because I just bought a 69 GTO and guess where it is-Long Island.

BTW this time I did call Reliable and InterCity for a quote since I have been told by two different people that the GTO rates enclosed transport. So I am still deciding how to go with the shipment. It looks like it's about double for enclosed transport vs. open.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP53 View Post
BTW this time I did call Reliable and InterCity for a quote...
If I were having to ship my car somewhere, those are the only two I'd even consider. Regardless of cost.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:10 AM

I've shipped six cars over the past 4 years from around the country and have used open transport with no problems. By the same token, if I was shipping a $100k Judge it would be in enclosed. I only use owner-drivers or family owned companies with their own trucks. I'm moving a 70 GTO next week from NC to CA and using Door To Door Auto Transport | Auto Shipping and Auto Transport Quotes for the first time. This family owned company was recommended to me by a Pontiac collector. Brokers are rife in the industry and ruthless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in