User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Shock Recommendations

Wondering if there are any GTO gurus that can recommend a set of shocks for my '67 GTO.
I have a set of KYBs that came on the car but they are bone jarring when you hit any little bump in the road.
Rides more like a dump truck than a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bilsteen

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just use a standard gas shock , KYBs. are terrible .

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDU002 View Post
Bilsteen
Kind of pricey but I went ahead and ordered a set.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Kind of pricey but I went ahead and ordered a set.
You will notice a big difference in ride.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Goat; I love your car, that color is awesome.

I know that you already know what I am talking about, but just want you to consider could it be the springs? Remember the springs are what take the jolt from any road bump, the shocks, despite there name do not absorb shock, they just prevent the spring from oscillating and continuing to oscillate, they dampen it so to speak.

The test for a weak shock is to push down on the car while standing next to it and see if it goes does easy and bounces, if it does they are weak.

The shocks and springs work together, surely and of course modifying the shock spring with air bags etc can effect things differently.

Sometimes a car has low original mileage but the spring has been on there 50 years. Car can be painted, new motor but nobody changed the springs. I put all new spring and bushings on, and shocks, makes a great ride on my 66 Lemans, which is almost a body match for your car, no jolts.

Just check it, factory spring you can check ride height with ruler.

Love that GTo!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Goat; PS don't forget to check your snubbers. they are little hunks of rubber on top of the A-Arms that keep the a-Arm from hitting the frame when you hit a big bump that really compress the spring. They look like little army tents and are held on with one bolt. Easy to change, the Pontiac houses have em, maybe even local auto parts.

With good springs, you don't use em much, but weak springs can pound em, and even lose em from vibration over the years. Or worse someone took em off, and forgot to put em back.

Weak springs and no snubbers will make your dental fillings rattle! The back shock tower has them as well.....make sure you still got em!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Wondering if there are any GTO gurus that can recommend a set of shocks for my '67 GTO.
I have a set of KYBs that came on the car but they are bone jarring when you hit any little bump in the road.
Rides more like a dump truck than a car.
I love my coil-over shocks. You can adjust 'em somewhat to get the ride you want. Good luck with your shocks.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
Goat; I love your car, that color is awesome.

I know that you already know what I am talking about, but just want you to consider could it be the springs? Remember the springs are what take the jolt from any road bump, the shocks, despite there name do not absorb shock, they just prevent the spring from oscillating and continuing to oscillate, they dampen it so to speak.

The test for a weak shock is to push down on the car while standing next to it and see if it goes does easy and bounces, if it does they are weak.

The shocks and springs work together, surely and of course modifying the shock spring with air bags etc can effect things differently.

Sometimes a car has low original mileage but the spring has been on there 50 years. Car can be painted, new motor but nobody changed the springs. I put all new spring and bushings on, and shocks, makes a great ride on my 66 Lemans, which is almost a body match for your car, no jolts.

Just check it, factory spring you can check ride height with ruler.

Love that GTo!
Thanks.
The color is paint code P2 Silverglaze w/ black vinyl top it is how it came out of the factory in Fremont.

I have replaced all the springs, the driver's side rear was 3/4" shorter than the passenger side.
I have replaced all the rubber except for the body mounts, new trailing arms, tie rod ends upper and lower control arm bushings, front and rear sway bars and did the did the front disc brake conversion.
The only thing that wasn't original was the front sway bar bushings but it was the stock bar with 1 1/4 bushings so it was just flopping in there, I replaced the bar with a 1 1/4" and all that rubber.
The only thing besides the wrong bushings that was replaced were the shocks.
When I bought it the car didn't handle worth a damn and I had to saw the wheel on every corner and it had severe body roll now it corners and stops perfect.
The rebound on these KYBs is okay but pushing down there is zero resistance, you can feel it even hitting the smallest rough spot in the road.
I think they were replaced in 08 when the previous owner had the cosmetics done and they are just shot.

The cosmetics of the car were done well but I have been going over it and fixing a lot of things that were done half assed like the steering column the 3 bolts holding the bracket were there but the 4 bolts holding the bracket to the jacket were missing and the wheel was just flopping around.
I also had it flatbedded to my house when I bought it, the oil was running out of the rear main because the guy was running 0-20 wt synthetic oil in it.
When he told me that I wasn't about to drive it up the mountain and I wanted to go over it before I drove it.
I flushed that out and put in 10-40 with ZDDP and now it doesn't leak a drop.
I also replaced the tranny cooler lines with stainless, they were cut at some point and had a hose clamped in there, a big no no!

I don't know WTF they did under the dash, speaker doesn't work and I have a couple mystery light sockets and connectors just hanging.
That is another can of worms I will open in the spring for now I am just going to drive it before I have to store it for the winter.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:32 PM

sounds like you got all the springs suspension set up, maybe those new shocks will do the trick....!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in