User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
So, what did you do to your GTO this weekend?

I broke mine out of mothballs. Aired up the slicks, took her off jackstands, checked all the fluids, prelubed the motor, dumped 5 gallons of Methanol (at $5 a gallon which was a nice little surprise ) in the tank and drove it around the block to get ready for summer.

I've been busy (as usual :/) but took time and played car for a little while Sunday. It's been a long winter and I'm really itching for a great summer of car cruises, drag racing and car shows.

This week I plan on waxing her, changing the oil and re-greasing the U joints. Then find a paintless dent removal place to take out the nice bicycle bump my daughter left on my quarter panel.

What did you do to your GTO this weekend?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140729_140134.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	56497   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140729_140145.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	751.2 KB
ID:	56505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140729_140200.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	747.2 KB
ID:	56513  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm still waitin' on the DMV to process my Application for Title Transfer for the Goat -- man, what a freakin' hassle that's been. The Goat hasn't been registered since 1984 and they act like it's my fault. I went through the boxes and boxes and boxes of parts from the LeMans Parts Car (also a Garage Find and its also not been registered since 1984! Coincidence? I think not!), trying to make some sense out of the mass of fasteners the PO neglected to label (parts in one box and their fasteners in a big plastic ice cream bucket along with every other fastener from the entire LeMans -- the dumb a$$ PO).

And I've been posting unneeded parts on eBay. Makin' sloooow headway.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Fired up the '65 and went to the Central Valley Pontiacs annual show in Clovis, CA. Said hello to Jim Wangers and thanked him for being here for us car guys. He was as gracious as ever. Cleared the 'stale gas' out of the end carbs on the way home, and let a friend who has a '69 experience tripower for the first time! Then spent the rest of the afternoon getting my new-to-me 'barn find' '61 Corvette running for the first time in about 25 years. Tired, but a great weekend!!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I packed the trunk with parts and loaded my van with the tranny, radiator and driveshaft and am prepping the car to have it flat bedded to my storage building.
Should I drain the gas tank or add Stabil and top it off?
I am figuring at least a year in storage at this point since there will be no engine for it this year and I will have to wait through winter again before I can get one.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Garage
^Drain it and burn it in the lawnmower....it's that season!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Fired up the '65 and went to the Central Valley Pontiacs annual show in Clovis, CA. Said hello to Jim Wangers and thanked him for being here for us car guys. He was as gracious as ever. Cleared the 'stale gas' out of the end carbs on the way home, and let a friend who has a '69 experience tripower for the first time! Then spent the rest of the afternoon getting my new-to-me 'barn find' '61 Corvette running for the first time in about 25 years. Tired, but a great weekend!!
Wow! Sounds like a car lovers dream weekend to me. Of course we are going to need pictures of your "chevy".
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM
64-67 Expert

Will do when I can get to it. Lots of work to do..got a lot done already....brakes, electrical, cooling, cleaning, etc. It's a Roman Red/red car without the white coves....hardtop only at this point, 270HP dual 4 car with 4 speed and posi. Been sitting since 1992 in an airplane hangar up in Northern CA. Original paint (mostly) and original interior, but in decent shape. A 10-20 footer. Going to get the mechanicals A-1 and leave the cosmetics alone and have a 'surviver'.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
^Drain it and burn it in the lawnmower....it's that season!
I live in the mountains so no lawn or mower.
It is a new tank and I don't want it to rust so I was thinking full would be better than empty.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 PM
64-67 Expert

Seriously, full is best. Also, adding a small amount (about 4 ounces) of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank won't hurt a thing and will really help prevent rust.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Seriously, full is best. Also, adding a small amount (about 4 ounces) of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank won't hurt a thing and will really help prevent rust.
Thanks, that is what I will do and if I ever find an engine I can always burn this up in my truck and fill the tank with fresh gas.
I wish I had done more research before buying this car, I had no idea that getting an engine rebuilt for this would be such a PIA, if it was a Chevy I could get one in a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in