User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
something like a 68 GTO for my wife

Okay so I am not sure I have the finances to get a nice GTO for my wife. The story goes her Dad had a 68 and she loved it. She wanted it but he said it was too much power for a girl to drive. He sold it to her cousin who promptly wrapped it around an inanimate object.

So for our 15th anniversary I would like to try and bring that back some but I don't think I can swing an actual 68 GTO. So i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what might be similar enough. Or hey maybe I can and i'm just not looking in the right place.

I was even trying to find a place that would let you rent one for a day but in philadelphia that just doesn't seem to exist. Though there is a place in York, PA but unfortunately it comes with a mandatory driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
This is why there are so few of them left especially the ones with true trac since they got wrapped.
My insurance wouldn't pay if there was any other driver other than myself.
My wife refuses to drive my goat because...well it's just too much power for a girl.

Actually my car was special ordered by a woman who kept it for 41 years and never put a dent in it.
IMO you are going to have to purchase one to make this happen.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

yeah a lot of trust if someone LETS you drive their very expensive classic car. Hence why i'm wondering what alternatives there are muscle car wise that might give the same experience. Mayve it won't have a 400 cubic inch engine but maybe the same interior. I"m a newbie as far as GTO's go. What can you get for say $15,000 - $20,000?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
The original owner of my 68 was a School teacher (female) from New York. in all the documentation there is a lovely letter from her written on behalf of the car. Little things like this are priceless to me, even if does not increase the value of the car.

Welcome to the forum, check your local advertisers and there are some groups on facebook that list GTOs for sale. You may have to throw in some elbow grease and time to bring it up to spec but it would be well worth it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...esting_product here is an interesting one. 68 numbers matching.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome and good luck!

Another source for GTO's to purchase would be to join the GTOAA (GTO Association of America) --- just to get their monthly newsletter. In the back of each issue every month is a classified ad section and there are always GTO's for sale. Yes, they tend to be pricey considering that these will be enthusiast/member cars, there are always some available. In my current issue alone there are two 68's listed for sale. One Midnight Blue, YS engine, Dual Gate auto, PHS documented listed at $28,000. Another Nightshade Green, dual gate, loaded, "national class winner", 3rd owner since new, PHS documented, listed at $53,500

There are also "Pontiacs for sale", "Pontiacs wanted", "Parts for sale", "Parts wanted", and "Services" sections in the newsletter available to members. Good resources...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:06 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
You should be able to get a decent '68 GTO driver for around 20-25k. Keep in mind, it will hold or appreciate in value if you take care of it. Also keep in mind that it is just as expensive to restore or repair a LeMans or Tempest as a GTO, but the end result won't be of equal value to the GTO. That said, you could get a nice '68 LeMans or Tempest for considerably less, and have a really nice car very similar to the GTO. Buy the best car you can initially.....it is by far the cheapest and easiest option.
deanhickey likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Yes since there is a local club I went ahead and joint GTOAA. Hopefully something not too far comes by. so any typical issues I should look for? From what i read somehwere...don't buy a 73 to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in