Sound System Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sound System Question

My father and I have a 1971 LeMans Sport Convertible and, while I love the sound of the 350 V8 with the top down, I would also like to be able to listen to some music in the car as well. The car is all original and has the original AM radio in it, which is not currently working. We really do not want to take it out and mess with the originality of the car. It looks cool even if it doesn't work.

My question is what have people done to add a new deck to their GTO/LeMans without messing with the originality of the interior. My thought was that it could possibly go in the glove box or be mounted below the dash. I believe there is only one speaker in the dash but would love to be corrected.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you look up cheesy in the dictionary, you will see these pictures as well. The cheap head unit is held to a piece of wood that is painted black by strapping covered with black felt. The wood in turn is screwed to the underside of the dash with 2 long screws that use existing holes. The temp gauge is held to the strapping under the radio with a white wire tie. No butchering and it can all be removed in less than 5 minutes. BTW the head unit is old but is has an aux in for my iPhone.

The speakers are cheap black ones. The speaker wires run under the carpet and come up along the side of the back seat. They just sit there. If I need to take them out, the wires unhook from the speakers easily and I can push the wires in the seam between the seat and the back. I am sure that others will have hopefully cleaner solutions. Doubt you will find a less expensive one.

BTW, we put an 8 track player in the glove box of our new GTO in 1967 to keep it from being stolen. My brother was reaching over to fiddle with it when he ran into the back of the car in front of him which had stopped halfway through a right turn......

Last edited by pjw1967; 05-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Thanks to my grandkids, I use the Bluetooth wireless mini speaker placed under my seat, my I-phone has a ton of music and if I get tired of listening to my collection I can connect to Pandora.

That way the car stays original and if I want to listen to static I turn on the AM radio.

Randy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! The Bluetooth speaker seems like the way to go. Any recommendations on which one to get?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM

I had the same requirements for my 69 gto convertible. I did not want to cut the kick panels because it would take the stock look out and the air vents wouldnt not work. I wanted to keep the original am radio in the dash too. I installed an Alpine blue tooth radio and amp into my glove box and ran two 3.5in speakers in the center dash location and fabricated two speaker brackets under the dash behind the ash tray for two 6.5in round speakers. The only way to get a rich bass sound is to use a speakerbox on the back seat, which looks terrible, or fabricate a front facing bracket for sub woofers in the trunk. I decided to keep the under dash and above dash for high range sound and it sounds good enough to hear over my flowmaster 40's. Attached a pic of my dash and glovebox and my 6.5 under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	780.0 KB
ID:	39169   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	39177  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71LeMansSport View Post
Thanks! The Bluetooth speaker seems like the way to go. Any recommendations on which one to get?
The prices are affordable and there are several to choose from;

https://www.google.com/#q=wireless+bluetooth+speakers

Randy

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

I just went through the same thing. I decided to go with the JBL Charge. I set it in the middle of the back seat and it sounds great. It also fits perfectly in the '68 center counsel so it's not sitting out when I park. One benefit of the "Charge" is that it has a huge battery that can also be used to charge iPhones and other devices. So glad I didn't mess up my dash with a replacement radio. Oh, I think I paid $150 at best buy. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
Thanks to my grandkids, I use the Bluetooth wireless mini speaker placed under my seat, my I-phone has a ton of music and if I get tired of listening to my collection I can connect to Pandora.

That way the car stays original and if I want to listen to static I turn on the AM radio.
Since I don't spend a lot of time in the Goat, I decided to go cheap on the Bluetooth, since so many of you have tried it. $39.00 in Walmat and $17.00 w/tax on Walmart.com. Just paired it with my iPhone and it works great. Acid test will be using it in the car, but from the sound I get in the man cave, it should be fine.
Ematic Universal Accessory Kit - Walmart.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw1967 View Post
Since I don't spend a lot of time in the Goat, I decided to go cheap on the Bluetooth, since so many of you have tried it. $39.00 in Walmat and $17.00 w/tax on Walmart.com. Just paired it with my iPhone and it works great. Acid test will be using it in the car, but from the sound I get in the man cave, it should be fine.
Ematic Universal Accessory Kit - Walmart.com
Tried it out. Bit disappointing as it lost the iPhone connection 3 times. Nice size and I am sure I can jury rig something on the back to hang across the knobs on the radio. Not gonna do that until I see what's causing the BT break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in