speakers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
speakers

Well after having my 67 gto convertible for 16 years it is FINALLY in the body shop!..body,paint and all interior getting done..i can't believe it is happening. ..so looking forward when it's done..let's talk tunes..i am going with a 67 gto reproduction stereo, probably will use the front kick panel speakers..but what about the rear??..has anyone figured out where to put rear speakers in a CONVETIBLE without cuting holes in the side panels???..I want to keep the interior as original looking as possible and not cut the panels. ..if you have done something please post pics!!.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I have seen original applications with speakers hanging from the top well. Metal face plate screens, and the speakers mounted to them. Not sure how original, but it's low key and reversible. Can't hear them when the top is down and covering them up, though! Another place would be the rear armrest coves.....probably have enough room, but they would certainly be visible.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am in the same situation. I have a 64 convert and I didnt want to cut anything. So I will went with the opgi kickplates with the cutouts for speakers, and forgot about subs or rear speakers.

I got a good set of speakers (JL Audio C5-650x) that are coaxial speakers that were 2 way. I did not get the component speakers because I would have to cut a hole for a tweeter or mount an extra speaker somewhere. The Coaxial speakers had the tweeter over the cone. I did not go with a 3 way because you do not want to much covering the cone of the speaker because movement of air is what causes the sound. So you don't want a lot covering the speaker. I know JL are so 1990's but they rate really high and I have always had good luck with them.

I did put a small amp in the trunk. JL Audio JX360/2 You only need about 100wats. 50 thru each speaker.

You want a 2 way speaker that can drive a lot of watts. these speakers were a little more but since I was not getting rears I figured what the hell. I also bought sound deadner and a foam enclosure that fit behind the speaker.

They were plenty loud enough and have very good fidelity for their size. 6.5" Distortion does not

If you want a high end system your going to have to cut something. But these speakers are really good and loud enough. Decent magnets, fully enclosed. My days of trunk rattling bass and caps, subs, crossovers, and equalizers is over. To be honest my ears can not really distinguish super high fidelity ad sounds anymore.

take pictures when you are done and let us know what you did,

Last edited by tonyskala; 11-13-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add speaker

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I will definitely use the kick panels with a hight quality speaker. I also thought of using g a small sub in the dash where the original speaker went and a pair of under the seat speakers to cover the rear. They make small speaker boxes only about 2 in high that go uner the seats. This is the only way I can figure to get half decent sound and not cut into the door and arm panels . Any other ideas would be appreciated.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bytor, where is the Snowdog?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Issue with a sub in the dash is the sub needs an enclosed cavity to function properly. It will also rattle things quite a bit. I am telling you start with those JL and a small amp. It will sound good. Your not going to set off any alarms or anything but there is more than enough there to make you feel young again.

So i used to install this stuff for a living. And it really is not as simple as just bolting some stuff together. In all honestly try Crutchfield. They have a help line that can help you design something to meet your needs. If you go to a stereo place you need to find one that has folks that can help you properly lay out a system. Not just sell you the most expensive stuff.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks tonyskala...i will start with what you suggest and go from there if if it's not enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

68gto40 ...thanks for getting the reference..lol..few people do. And the snow dog is just fine.
RUSH on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in