Spinning Rear Wheel Wobble '69 Judge - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Spinning Rear Wheel Wobble '69 Judge

Recently purchased '69 Judge with Cragars and had a couple people tell me the left rear wheel wobbles slightly. It has positraction and drums. I took tire and rim to see if bent...it's balanced. I lifted the rear, and spun tires, and they rotate freely about 80% of turn, then seems
to be more difficult to turn until free again. What would possibly cause this? Also...

It also appears that a couple studs may be bent slightly seeing it came off transport with left rear lugs loose. Can I replace studs without removing axle if possible, HOWEVER if sticking spot above requires closer inspection of axle do I need to drain differential when pulling left axle, AND should I replace any parts like barrings/flange because I'm into it?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You might be able to pop the studs with a hammer, might have to press them off. You never know. Obviously, if you have to press them off you have to remove the axle.

The sticking bothers me. The axle should turn freely all the way around. If it were me I'd disassemble and diagnose completely. Axle bearings and seal replacement are a no brainer at that point.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you. If pulling axle do I need to drain differential?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
If you jack up the car just on one side then you can pull the axle without all the gear oil draining out. We do this on our fleet trucks all the time.

Inspect the axle tube....might be bent. Mine were bent on both sides and I had to have them professionally straightened.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
With the rear tire/wheels off, & rearend hanging in the car, I would remove both rear drums, then remove both rear axles. Examine both axles, its a good chance the axle side that is wobbling has a bent axle flange & that axle will need to be replaced. At that point, one needs to double ck what the rearend is. Many have been swapped out over the years. If the rear is an original Pontiac 8.2 HD Safe-T-Track rear, it originally had HD axles. Scott (69BlackJudge) had a pic up on the PY Forum, I believe about a week ago, of a pair of '68-69 HD STT axles he was offering for sale, maybe he can chime in with a pic. The HD versions are very very hard to come up with. Like the standard duty axles, the HD versions can also suffer from a seized axle bearing. Typically, when I've come across a chewed up early HD STT axle in a build or maintainance session, I just order a new pair of Moser axles. Mosers are far superior in strength to the value priced chinese junk axles avail from Internet sources.

Sealed axle bearing axles were used by GM in all '64-69 Pontiac A-body's, as well as Pontiac B-body's which ran sealed axle bearing 8 7/8 P series rearends up through the '70 model year. Sealed axle beings are NOTORIOUS for seizing & chewing up the axle under the bearing. When it comes to replacement, the RW507CR sealed axle bearing is one of the most affordable of sealed axle bearings, not like the original sealed axle bearings in early Olds VistaCruisers or '68-69 GS Buicks. Many many times I've replaced unknown usage 507CR's on friends & customers recently acquired Pontiacs which still had their early original 8.2 bolt-in axle rears, definitely gives peace of mind. Very gut wrenching to get a parts request/ or pics of really nice Pontiacs & Olds with a damaged 1/4 panel, after a chewed up axle decided to slide through the locking collar & depart the car. This typically occurs during cornering. All GM A-body rearends with bolt in axles received tapered bearing axle retention (with an external axle seal) for the '70 model year. Tapered axle bearings are the best for heavy side loading & rarely fail.

Last, on nice used (cked out axles) I'm either using in a build, or preparing to ship out, I nearly always replace the wheel studs. Too many 45-50 year old axles have really poor condition axle studs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Right, thats like replacing an exhaust system and not putting in new hangers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in